Thread: Running the Rocks in Nevada

Running the Rocks in Nevada

My daughter wanted to take some friends out to some petroglyphs near our house. To give you an idea of the roughness of the terrain, it's about 8 miles and takes about an hour-fifteen to an hour and a half to make it there.

We had our Xterra and a friend had a Tundra, but the number of people in the safari meant we needed another vehicle. They brought a Sienna, a Hyundai Tucson, and a Toyota Corolla. My Suzuki was the only one that could possibly make it.

To be honest, I have wanted to test the SX4's mettle. It's getting up in years and miles, so if I destroyed something, it wouldn't be the end of the world. It has the 2-inch RRO lift, and 215-70/16s, which gives about another 3 inches of clearance (good), but also makes the gear ratio higher (bad!)

Here's some clips of the action.

#1 2011 SX4 Crossover MT (Tech pkg), Sunlight Copper, RRO lift/shock relo, K&N, 215R70-16
    #2 2011 SX4 Crossover MT (Tech pkg), Sunlight Copper, K&N, Suzuki custom wheels

WOW ! thanks for sharing ... that looks tough for any crossover with their street biased awd systems and low clearance / approach angles. The sx4 did great and of course good driving too
    I doubt if a Tucson cud make it even with a lift !!
    2010 sx4 JX AWD

Very nice! Thanks for posting. I love seeing these kids in action!

Quote Originally Posted by vhercules View Post
    The sx4 did great and of course good driving too
    Thanks! Driving skill is half of the vehicle's ability to make it past an obstacle.

The lady riding me has a Range Rover as a daily driver. Her husband says she doesn't know what any of the buttons do, like diff lock, ride height, traction mode, etc.

If only I had those on the SX!
    #1 2011 SX4 Crossover MT (Tech pkg), Sunlight Copper, RRO lift/shock relo, K&N, 215R70-16
    #2 2011 SX4 Crossover MT (Tech pkg), Sunlight Copper, K&N, Suzuki custom wheels

That's really awesome! It makes me miss Nevada. Thanks for sharing!