Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A/C

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A/C

A/C blows, but not cold air.

What are the relative odds of it needing a recharge vs the AC unit actually being broken?

The AC light at the button DOES come on.

2012, US if it matters.
    Last edited by ihatemycar; May 3rd, 2021 at 06:46 PM.

I would do a recharge first. It's cheap, and it's easy to do yourself. If that doesn't work -- or if it works for a short time and stops working -- then you have a bigger problem. Harbor Freight sells a recharge kit for $30, and Walmart sells the same one for $27.60. Heck, even if you have to do a recharge once a year, it's probably worth it.

Here's the link for the recharge kit at Harbor Freight: https://www.harborfreight.com/18-oz-...ied-68286.html
    2008 SX4 Hatchback 2.0-liter, AWD, 5-speed manual
    Check out my SX4 maintenance videos on my YouTube channel

Quote Originally Posted by BobKo View Post
    I would do a recharge first. It's cheap, and it's easy to do yourself. If that doesn't work -- or if it works for a short time and stops working -- then you have a bigger problem. Harbor Freight sells a recharge kit for $30, and Walmart sells the same one for $27.60. Heck, even if you have to do a recharge once a year, it's probably worth it.

Here's the link for the recharge kit at Harbor Freight: https://www.harborfreight.com/18-oz-...ied-68286.html
    Interesting. Any video on how to use?

Quote Originally Posted by ihatemycar View Post
    after the 6th post, we might not remember you said you were in the USA in your first post. Better open your signature (in settings) and list all car details and your location so we know each time .
    2011 sx4 JX AWD CVT 40000km(June2021) Also drives 2015 KIA Sorento AWD 2.4

after the 6th post, we might not remember you said you were in the USA in your first post. Better open your signature (in settings) and list all car details and your location so we know each time .

I found a video....went out and got some stuff.

I turned on the AC on max - it blows warm air.

Popped the hood, take a look at what I THINK is the compressor, and it doesn't appear to spin - just the belt part spins.

I connect the AC Pro canister anyway. When I do, it immediately goes into the red "overcharged" zone. Great.

So I guess the compressor itself is bad and must be placed? That sucks. I just spent $3K in repairs on this thing. I can spent another billion to make the AC work.

I found a video....went out and got some stuff.

I turned on the AC on max - it blows warm air.

Popped the hood, take a look at what I THINK is the compressor, and it doesn't appear to spin - just the belt part spins.

I connect the AC Pro canister anyway. When I do, it immediately goes into the red "overcharged" zone. Great.

So I guess the compressor itself is bad and must be placed? That sucks. I just spent $3K in repairs on this thing. I can spent another billion to make the AC work.
    FWIW, the vehicle sat from roughly Feb 2020 through October 2020, awaiting replacement of the clutch ($1700, all-in). Maybe this compressor "froze up" during that time.

My garage friends charged me 180$C. I left my car with them as we were in lockdiwn. No hurry to get car back. The exact labor hours I do not know. It is jus it is much better to work on with a hoist. I was not ready to lay on my back for few hours.
    You probably need a belt wrench to hold the pully when you unscrew the centre bolt.
    They also checked my pressure and for leaks.

I could not find the post, but I recall a member posting that he did change the clutcht with compressor still on car. He described in detail. J
    Not sure if he dropped the compressor down with hoses still attaching.
    I found my AC hose was off the bracket on rear top (passenger side) after I check. Very easy to tight it again.
    The shop manual is clear on the washer orientation and the final gap setting.
    2007AWD auto.212k km..K/N air filter,AUXinput,Grp34size Battery
    Alternator,swybarlnk,cntrlarm,innertierod,Pwiperar m,Rexhaustjnt,Raxleseals,Ujoints,idler,tensioner pulleys,ACclutch.

Funny you should ask that, as I started shooting a "How to Recharge Your A/C" video on my SX4 a couple years ago. But the shooting all fell apart for some reason... maybe I will have to look at what I have and see if it can be finished somehow.

In the meantime, here is a generic video that shows how to recharge a car's AC system. His technical quality is not as good as my videos, but he certainly shows how to do it, and the process is exactly the same in an SX4: https://youtu.be/gfZ3aKVMGZ4
    2008 SX4 Hatchback 2.0-liter, AWD, 5-speed manual
    Check out my SX4 maintenance videos on my YouTube channel

I did a quick search..and found harbour freight selling R134A , but walmart selling R12A (as well as Canadian Tire RED TEK in Canada).
    Can you comment on that ? And by the way, the sx4 shop manual says quantity is 420 +/- 20 grams... then about 15 +/- 1 oz. (I think remembering my late 1979 Ford COuntry Squire required much more....yeah...4 x 14oz cans....)
    Last edited by LMP; May 4th, 2021 at 05:49 AM.