Thread: 2010 6 speed fill and drain plugs

2010 6 speed fill and drain plugs

I want to change the trans fluid on our 2010 manual trans but I'm not sure about the fill and drain plugs. I pulled the left from wheel and I think I found them. The fill is a large hex nut with a magnet behind the brake line and the drain is an allen screw at the lower left of the fill plug. Can anyone confirm this?

I'm hoping to attempt this job today, too, but this information is completely different from everything I thought I knew about this job...

Tough to find a walkthrough here. Might just buy access to the FSM.

After looking around the net more I think I might be incorrect. I think the fill is the allen head and the drain is a hex head on the bottom passengers side.

2010 2011 2012 2013 Suzuki SX4 6MT six-speed manual transmission fluid oil change

Raise car horizontally -- don't jack on an incline, if at all possible
    Remove three 10mm bolts retaining "engine undercover" plastic undertray
    Remove fill plug on left side of transmission case - 8mm Allen Key
    Remove drain plug on bottom right of transmission case - 14mm bolt
    Drain fluid
    Replace drain plug with new gasket - 25 lb-ft torque
    Route funnel/hose down through engine compartment into fill hole
    Replace 2.6qt/2.5l of 75-80 GL4 fluid (NOT GL5) (I used Ford synthetic manual transmission fluid)
    Continue pouring until fluid runs out of fill hole
    If you jacked the car on an incline, let the car down and let excess fluid run out of the fill hole
    Replace fill plug with new gasket - 20 lb-ft torque
    Last edited by highmileage; August 2nd, 2015 at 10:03 PM.

Here's a how-to video I recorded today!

Add @highmileage on Snapchat, Periscope, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube!
    Last edited by highmileage; August 2nd, 2015 at 10:08 PM.

I did this tonight with no issues. I used Red Line MT-90 75W-90 GL-4 Manual Transmission and Transaxle Lubricant. It shifts smooth and runs quiet. Thanks for video, high mileage!

image.jpg
    This is more difficult of a job than the earlier model 5-speed: On those, a pvc 1/2" NPT street elbow fits into the filler, and you can fill it easily from above. On my 2012 6-speed crossover, there are six fasteners securing the driver's side lower cover. I use a T-50 torx to remove the filler plug. The filler plug is smaller than 1/2", and it is harder to fill from above. Our friend Highmileage used a small diameter tube and small funnel in his video. I used a pump to fill it from below.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Last edited by Dowser; July 17th, 2016 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Clarity
    The Black Pearl
    I sold my 2007 SX4 and replaced it with a 2012 SX4!

One last question to make this thread complete: what are the sizes of the gaskets (crush washers) for the fill and drain plug? For late model 2010 - 2013 SX4 US spec 6MT.

NathanP in this thread http://clubsx4.com/forum/showthread....297#post105297 says the transmission drain plug is the same as the engine oil drain plug, which takes a 20mm x 14mm washer. Handy for me: I buy in bulk since they fit Miatas.

Nathan also says the transmission fill plug has an 18mm thread with 1.5mm pitch. This is the same size as (once again) ND Miata diff and transmission drain and fill plugs: 24mm x 18mm.

The Japanese builders must have standardized on a couple of standard washer sizes. These washers apparently also fit many Honda/Acura models.

Note: I have not validated the above sizes personally, relying on Nathan's comments. But I have used the 20mm x 14mm washers on my SX4 engine oil drain plug.
    Last edited by DennisN; June 9th, 2021 at 04:04 PM.
    Feline mechanics Maggie the moggie and Duke
    2011 SX4 Crossover, 2018 ND Miata