Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ORPCA Autocross #5 at PIR 7-19-15

ORPCA Autocross #5 at PIR 7-19-15

Last weekend I had another autocross event and the course layout was really fun. It was a very hot day at around 100 degrees fahrenheit. I ended up tweaking my alignment at autocross #4 and it became more pronounced during this event. The tires are toed in. I have an appointment for an alignment on Tuesday so things will be straightened out before any additional events.

By the end of the event I was starting to shave down my times by making driving adjustments and vehicle adjustment. I feel like knowing what to do differently is easy but actually implementing it is the hard part. The results of the event are listed below:
    Final - https://web.archive.org/web/20150725...cross5_fin.htm
    Raw - https://web.archive.org/web/20150725...cross5_raw.htm

The official ORPCA photographer captured a few shots of my car in action. The photos from the other cars were also captured by Running Rich Photography at www.running-rich.com/Track-Race/ORPCA-AutoX-5-07192015/.

I set up my camera's a little different this time but it wasn't until after the 4th run that I realized I wasn't capturing video on the right side camera. Battery issues and further user error were to blame for other video not being captured. I did end up with video from all three cameras (although one was in 720 video quality mode) and played around with the multi-camera feature of my video editing software.

You did pretty well considering you're up against much tougher adversaries. Congrats!
    "It's kind of like having a harem. It's really expensive and WAY overkill, but how much fun is it to brag to your friends that you have one?"
    SX4-Turbo @ 11psi

nice job. man...excellent

Thanks guys. I've been having a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by Schultzey View Post
    I have an appointment for an alignment on Tuesday so things will be straightened out before any additional events.
    Happy to report the car is tracking straight again after an alignment. It should handle much better going forward. Check out the initial right toe angle.

Should have done a slightly larger toe out for autocross. With a slight toe out you could have done transition corners and turn in faster.
    "It's kind of like having a harem. It's really expensive and WAY overkill, but how much fun is it to brag to your friends that you have one?"
    SX4-Turbo @ 11psi

What degree of toe out would you recommend so I know for next time?

Quote Originally Posted by Schultzey View Post
    What degree of toe out would you recommend so I know for next time?

We usually speak of toe in inches. I use 1/16" to 1/8" total toe out (could even go to 1/4" total but that wears tires rather quickly). Based on a calculator for 1/16 and a 25" tire diameter to get the equivalent it comes out to about 0.07deg per side for a total of 0.140deg total toe out. It will be larger for 1/8" and so on. Didn't remember what tire you're using but the calculator is in www.robrobinette.com
    SX4-Turbo @ 11psi

Quote Originally Posted by AdR View Post
    We usually speak of toe in inches. I use 1/16" to 1/8" total toe out (could even go to 1/4" total but that wears tires rather quickly). Based on a calculator for 1/16 and a 25" tire diameter to get the equivalent it comes out to about 0.07deg per side for a total of 0.140deg total toe out. It will be larger for 1/8" and so on. Didn't remember what tire you're using but the calculator is in www.robrobinette.com
    Good info. Thanks. The OD of the tires on the car when aligned (225/45/18) are 25.9" so the calculated degrees for 1/16" toe out you provided is very close. It is nearly neutral right now but I know what to request going forward.

How'd you end up tweaking your alignment? I haven't ever had to touch mine from when I got it aligned after I installed the lift spacers. I've been really impressed with how true it's stayed. I have jeep friends who need to get their trucks aligned after almost every weekend we go wheeling. I thought for sure after some off-angle drop-offs and other hard hits that I'd have to get mine aligned but every time she tracks straight on the way home and my tire wear is perfect.

You seem to be dialling in your suspension pretty nicely! You can really see the throttle lift-off rotation in the corners. Bet that thing is a blast throwing it around an autocross course
    '11 SX4 AWD 6-spd, '07 Grand Vitara V6, '01 GS500
    Father's: '12 Kizashi Sport & '12 Grand Vitara
    Proud owners of the entire North American Suzuki line-up