Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SCCA Track Night in America @ PIR - 7/3/15

Quote Originally Posted by AdR View Post
    Just as an insight for when you finally start heel & toeing on the SX4 (if you aren't already). Unless you have done the update to the ecu to reduce the lag time you'll notice that you have to predict the throttle opening before you actually release the clutch to rev match. I had a hard time figuring out the sweet spot for the pedal depress to clutch engagement timing when i first started and thought I was doing something wrong until I accepted that DBW doesn't have the linear familiarity that a cabled throttle has. The throttle opening curve comes in with a slight lag and an agressive opening afterwards very different from a cable setup. I kept getting the same input from everyone on my videos that I needed to heel and toe without them knowing that I was actually doing it/failing miserably and cussing inside my helmet (reason why I didn't even mention it).
    Quote Originally Posted by Wagoneer View Post
    If you really want to start pushing the car and find it's limits of grip you won't be wanting to change gears mid-corner like you're doing. Time to practise that heel-n-toe during braking! If the corner permits, you want to be in your exit gear before you turn in. I know if you aren't really driving on the limit it's not necessary but it's a bad habit to get into on the track. Especially if some corners need a bit of trail braking to get the car set up for the exit. Unless it's a tight hairpin going into a long straight I doubt you'll have to with the SX4. It's a small wheelbase and the chassis rotates quite well as is.

Other than that you're doing great. You're very smooth for your first time. A lot of first-timers think quick jerky inputs are going to make them go faster for some reason. You've already mentioned the REALLY early braking so you're aware of that. A lot of these things will just come naturally the more comfortable you are with pushing the car.

The car sounds like a beast though! That shifter is great how it's so close to the wheel, hardly takes any time at all to reach for it. How'd you like those brake bads? Good job not messing around with street performance pads and just going to a race formula. I glazed over a lot of "performance" pads before I finally swapped in race pads for the track. But holy jeebus are race pads messy!
    Lol. Yeah I have a lot of noob mistakes. I need to make a sticky note of all the things I need to work on and place it on the dash. You are right that I need to prevent bad habits from forming.

Heel/Toe is something I have been working on while just driving around since the last event to have it become instinctual. This is something I did not attempt during my runs. I did have the ECU reflash done but I need much more practice. It seems like I either drive around in flip flops or dress shoes so it has been a bit of a challenge to get a handle on pedal feel. I need to go practice with some proper shoes. One thing that crossed my mind to make the heel/toe easier is to get a spacer for the gas pedal to level it with the brake pedal.

Speaking of the brakes the race spec pads are incredible. The car stops really quick and after many runs of going from 100+ to 40-60 mph the fade was minimal. They make the front Rotora H2 and rear RRM pads seem lousy in comparison. The Rotora H9s are carbon metal material and the DTC-70s are ferro carbon material. Both have very high operating heat ranges. Unfortunately I forgot my infared heat reader to get an idea of the brake temps. The best assessment I could make is they got really freaking hot and I needed to let the car sit for a long time because the wheels, lug nuts, and hubs were too hot to touch. I was impressed with how balanced the braking was. The H9s are much thicker than the H2 pads I use in daily driving.

The position of the shifter is nice having it close to the wheel. I am still getting familiar with the location of the shifter vs gear while driving. In the video there are a few times where I grabbed for the shifter and it was further away than expected. A few shifts were also missed and I shifted to the wrong gear for the speed a few times but additional seat time will help eliminate some of these mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Schultzey View Post
    Lol. Yeah I have a lot of noob mistakes. I need to make a sticky note of all the things I need to work on and place it on the dash. You are right that I need to prevent bad habits from forming.
    We've all been there. I actually like the location of your camera as it shows the road and what you're doing. It's the best place to analyze your driving dynamics vs. what the car is doing and make the necessary corrections.

I really liked a book called Speed Secrets and there are quite a few YouTube channels that explain the proper way to apex corners based on your driving style and driving wheels. Our cars tend to be more on the fwd side of things (understeer at corner exit) since the awd is a little laggy and pushy and the power tends to torque steer even if pushing all wheels (sucks to not have lsd). You will notice that your car will be very easy to point using throttle modulation (as you have my coils) by entering at speed and lifting to induce rotation. It should also be a bit oversteery on slow and mid speed corner entries which is great for rotation. I personally like a loose car but it comes at a price of needing to be extra careful to not unbalance it during S high speed curves or chicanes.
    "It's kind of like having a harem. It's really expensive and WAY overkill, but how much fun is it to brag to your friends that you have one?"
    SX4-Turbo @ 11psi

Actually I hadn't considered doing the swap but I did notice the lack of power when shifting to 5th. Great idea!
    hmm... wonder who has an '07 on this forum that might be willing to swap final gears with you... wonder who...
    Yes, that is, in fact, a Squirrel driving a Ferrari...

Quote Originally Posted by SX4rocious View Post
    hmm... wonder who has an '07 on this forum that might be willing to swap final gears with you... wonder who...
    Lol. If we could figure out the logistics of trading 5th gears I would be open to it.

Lol. If we could figure out the logistics of trading 5th gears I would be open to it.
    me too... I could use the added highway gear, since that's literally all I do with mine.
    Yes, that is, in fact, a Squirrel driving a Ferrari...

me too... I could use the added highway gear, since that's literally all I do with mine.
    Take out on a predetermined day... Ship both next day air exactly the same day. Swap in when it comes. Win!
    "It's kind of like having a harem. It's really expensive and WAY overkill, but how much fun is it to brag to your friends that you have one?"
    SX4-Turbo @ 11psi

PM Sent.