Thread: How to replace your water pump J20B fewest moves.

How to replace your water pump J20B fewest moves.

I removed and replaced my water pump on my 6 speed J20B equipped SX4.
    This method allows for the least amount of parts removed and is the quickest way to do this job without removing the exhaust manifold or oil filter etc.
    Remove: right lower engine cover, serptine belt, exhaust manifold heat shield, dip stick and tube, right radiator hold down bracket, steel bracket on the side of the engine with harness clipped in.
    Drain coolant if any and remove the bolts holding the AC compressor to block and let it drop down, remove water pump and water pipe bolts and lower radiator hose.. Slide the pump off the water pipe and tilt the rear pump housing so it is facing you and pulley down carefully push the radiator forward towards front bumper and slide the water pump by the exhaust manifold. Install in reverse with a light coat of oil if reusing any o rings. I had no issues with air pockets or getting coolant to the right level.
    '13 Suzuki SX4 6spd AWD/ '84 Buick Regal turbo/'84 Isuzu Impulse/'66 Crown Corvair/'66 Buick Riviera GS/'65 Corvair turbo

Great info, thanks. My sx4 is at 11 yrs now, wondering if i should just replace water pump as preventive mtnce
    2010 sx4 JX AWD

Thanks, definitely worth swapping if you really like your SX4. I don't know the mileage but mine is a 2010 engine in it now so the pump was 12 years old.
    '13 Suzuki SX4 6spd AWD/ '84 Buick Regal turbo/'84 Isuzu Impulse/'66 Crown Corvair/'66 Buick Riviera GS/'65 Corvair turbo

Thanks for the how to.
    2009 SX4 AWD hatch, auto, 2.0L. JX model I think.

Thanks so much for this! I used this to replace my water pump, but the bearings on it were defective so I had to get another one and do it again. Some of these pumps just suck and this water pump installation is a real *****.
    Few tips for anyone doing this:
    To remove radiator hold down bracket, pop the little plastic thing that holds down the bumper and take a few top bumper screws off.
    One of the connectors on the side of the block does not have a squeeze release. you just put a screwdriver on it and carefully pry it off.
    Use extensions on a swivel to remove the AC compressor.
    Bend the AC pipes out of the way as needed.
    Use a prybar to get the pump off if needed.
    Use a long 1/4 drive extension to get the little bolt under the header that hold the pump.
    Take the plastic hose housing off the water pump AFTER you take the pump off, it's much easier.
    Put a little coolant on the rubber gasket that connects to the coolant outlet pipe. This will help it slide on.
    Resist the urge to drive he bolts back in with an electric tool. You can cross thread it and royally **** your block.

Good moves, hand tools on the reinstall.