Thread: Any advice on replacing rear main seal on 2007 Automatic AWD SX4?

Any advice on replacing rear main seal on 2007 Automatic AWD SX4?

I bought this car pretty cheap, knowing it had oil leaks--PS fluid, AT fluid, and engine oil. After replacing the PS hoses and pump and resealing the AT pan and the engine pan and front engine seal, I'm left with a pretty steady ten drops per minute leak, filtering down through the center engine support. I'll be cleaning it up today, but I'm prepared for this to be the rear main.

Any advice on how to approach this? I'm used to dropping the transmission on other cars, but that may be more complicated considering the size and weight of the transmission and transfer case. Can the engine and transmission be separated with the engine in the car? I've read a few threads on this, but nothing related to the AT version of the SX4 (not the CVT, but the earlier version) and overall there wasn't much useful information.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

I would think if it’s not leaking from the transmission bell housing weep hole, it’s not the rear main seal. Either way, you can pull the transmission without pulling the transfer case. Have a large selection of socket extensions as you will need them all.
    2007 SX4 AWD, 2.0L Gasoline J20A, 5 speed manual, 202000 +miles on original engine.

Parts Cannon fully functional!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian20 View Post
    I would think if itís not leaking from the transmission bell housing weep hole, itís not the rear main seal. Either way, you can pull the transmission without pulling the transfer case. Have a large selection of socket extensions as you will need them all.
    I did a minor "parts cannon." Bought the seal, and just for a good measure, the oil pressure sender. Pulled the front motor mount, pulled the cap off the pressure sender, and I struck oil!

Of course, the seal arrived today, and the pressure sender arrives tomorrow. ;(