Thread: went to town on a parts order for the Sexy 4

went to town on a parts order for the Sexy 4

Placed an order on partsavatar.ca for 2 lower front control arms and 4 sway bar links, then on Amazon.ca Beck Arnley front sway bar bushings and a cabin air filter.

Before winter sets in I would like to install the sway bar links (the first 2) to see if I get rid of the stupid clunking that is now starting to drive me a bit nuts at the moment. I plan to do the arms next spring and if necessary I'll install the other 2 links otherwise I'll keep the first set on for now and keep the second pair handy for emergency install later. Before I do the front sway bar bushings I need to find some sway bar bushing grease so I don't get squeaking from the bar (I want to get rid of all suspension noise with these parts and not create new ones).

Hope my nuts/bolts all come out without issue (rust penetrant at the ready)...................impact gun ready to go also. Gonna have fun putting all these parts on.

Tony
    Last edited by Cman; October 6th, 2021 at 02:21 PM.
    10 SX4 6sp AWD, 17 CX-3 AWD
    19 Corvette ZR1
    09 Z06 (gone), 13 Shelby GT500 (gone)

Talk about quick service.................today all the stuff with the exception of the cabin air filter showed up (basically all suspension related items). The cabin filter will get here Tuesday according to Amazon (being delivered by UPS). Amazon showed up with the sway bar bushings and Purolator had the rest of the other stuff.

I'll get going with the sway bar link and possibly front bushing install next week.

My car must be happy that I purchased some parts for it and so was I. Got my new links and sway bar bushings on today without any drama. Everything came out no issue so I was happy also with how the install went on this part of the suspension install.

Yep, one of my links was very loose in the ball socket area so hopefully that is the cause of my current clunking on the car. I will find out tomorrow morning heading to work. The sway bar bushing bolts came out no problem but the threads were a tad rusted so I cleaned them up with a die (M8x1.25mm) and they threaded back on into the cradle perfectly. I would've liked to chase the threads in the bolt holes there also but space is tight so I didn't bother. A liberal coating of anti-seize on those threads and on the links will hopefully ensure they will come back out in the future.

While I was in there a quick look at my control arms show some cracked rubber bushings in them so chances are they will need to be replaced soon. I want to try to get through this winter before doing them so we'll see at least I have the parts at the ready when they are needed (along with 2 more sway bar links) and I might still have clunking if now the noise is from those control arm bushings.

We'll see how long these links last. The set I took off were installed 4 years ago when I did my struts and lowering springs so very happy they came out easily.

Another post coming tomorrow after I drive the car re: if I still have clunking or not

The majority of the clunking is gone but under certain conditions I still hear some and it isn't as bad as before the links install. I believe what clunking I still have is now from the control arms so no biggie.................get through the winter then my new arms will go on.

edit: installed new cabin air filter..................can't remember when I last changed it out the one I took out of the car looked........................ahhhmmm "interesting". Glad I got a new one to install in.
    Last edited by Cman; October 13th, 2021 at 04:00 PM.