Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Headlight won't turn off - ideas ?

Quote Originally Posted by LMP View Post
    See the diagram above. THe headlight swith controls BOTH sides with a simgle command....so a problem with the switch would fail both sides simultaneously. If problem is with one side only, it is not the switch.
    UPDATE:

I replaced one of the 2 headlight relays. Now I have both daytime running lights come on when I turn the headlight switch to "on" and both go off when I turn the headlight switch off. Both daytime running lights also go off if the ignition is turned off.

But now I have no headlights period. And the blue high beam indiciator on the dash stays illumainated all the time regardless of what position the headlight switch is in. Both 15 A headlight fuses are good, but just to be sure I also replaced both with brand new fuses.

Do you think I should replace the other headlight relay as well? I am a bit worried that there's a bigger problem, it seems odd that both headlight relays would fail at the same time, unless the failure of one relay then causes the other to fail for some reason? This entire situation is getting very aggrevating. Thanks for any advice guys.

Quote Originally Posted by scottybk View Post
    UPDATE:I replaced one of the 2 headlight relays.....
    Well...just for the detail....which one? low beam or high beam? relays.jpg

SInce those relays operate the ground side of the beams (rather than the hot side ) there are a lot of bizarre consequences experienced and predictaBILITY is, well, quite random....so lack of details makes it worse...
    2011 sx4 JX AWD CVT 40000km(June2021) Also drives 2015 KIA Sorento AWD 2.4

Quote Originally Posted by LMP View Post
    Well...just for the detail....which one? low beam or high beam? relays.jpg

SInce those relays operate the ground side of the beams (rather than the hot side ) there are a lot of bizarre consequences experienced and predictaBILITY is, well, quite random....so lack of details makes it worse...
    247 is the relay I replaced

UPDATE: Replaced both headlight relays and the wand/headlight switch. All brand new parts.

Same problem. Headlight on passenger side stays on regardless of switch position and driver's headlight blows the 15 A fuse. Also no high beam.

I really hate these electrcial gremlins. Anyone have any ideas ?