Thread: J20A vs J20B

J20A vs J20B

I have a Suzuki SX4 and Iím trying to switch mine out with a one in better condition. I was wondering what the difference between the J20A engine vs the J20B?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One has an A at the end, the other, a B

Ok, so, from what I can gather, the B is more like the engine that they use more frequently around the world, and is the most recent version of the engine that you can get in the car. Also, and I know I will get push back from some, but it seems that the J20B has proven to be the more reliable engine. It seems that the A has more rod/rod bearing issues, and it more prone to failure.

The A had been around for a decade when our cars were new. It's a time proven design. They are not unreliable as long as they are maintained. Parts can be found with relative ease. The powerband is not impressive but output is within a few hp and torques of the later B engines..

The B only existed in the US market for a few scant years, is comparably rare, is more mechanically complex with more possible points of failure, and has a disappointingly low specific output for a 4 cylinder of it's era. That's not to say it's a bad motor but the additional complexity, parts scarcity, unproven design due to less time on the market, and low power output were all factors in my search for a second Sx4 and why I specifically sought a pre 2010 model.

That said, I would still like to see a j24b swapped SX4. With 30 more hp on tap the car would be a hoot to drive. Suzuki had all the makings of a poor man's Golf R at their disposal but failed to deliver.
    '09 SX4 AWD 5-spd Technology Copper Sunlight Metallic - RIP
    '15 Ford Fiesta ST Tuxedo Black, Stage 2+ E30 tuned
    '09 SX4 AWD 5-spd Touring Copper Sunlight Metallic - v2.0

J20B added VVT also

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Yeah, I do not believe there were any parts shared between the A and B engines. Apples to oranges.

Having owned a 2007 with J20A/5 speed manual (143 hp) AND a 2012 with J20B/6 speed manual (151 hp), I can say I like the J20B the best. It has a much wider power band, due to the variable valve timing, and better fuel mileage. I have 165,000 miles on the J20B (mostly highway miles). It has been very trouble-free to this point. It has been the best car for the money I have ever owned. I wish Suzuki was still in the North American market so I could buy a new Suzuki.
    The Black Pearl
    I sold my 2007 SX4 and replaced it with a 2012 SX4!

And here I was hesitant to buy a j20b car partially because I haven't seen any long term reviews. My wife had a b equipped sedan but we didn't have it long. It was also a cvt so comparing powerbands was impossible.