Thread: Buying a used sx4 in Canada - advice needed

Buying a used sx4 in Canada - advice needed

Hi guys,

I just joined the forum because I am on the hunt for a used sx4 awd. Of course, I have a few questions and was hoping for your advice.

1- Are automatics more reliable than manual versions? I have to admit cvt trannys are not my cup of tea and cvt reliabality problems scare me.

2- Are oem parts going to be hard to find? As I am in Quebec, I found only one dealership that still sells oem suzuki parts but that's it.

3- How is the sx4 compared to a 2006-2007 subaru impreza ?

I really need a compact awd car as winters are pretty rough down here and size is an issue as far as parking goes.

Thanks a lot for the help!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Regular automatic SX4 is only for model year 07-09, from 10-13 they are CVT. I'm not a big auto fan so it's MT in my books.

If you are looking for regular wear and tear parts they are easily available afkt from Rock Auto and other afkt manufacturers will make parts for this car. If you need specific SX4 stuff like trim, interior/exterior stuff and major engine stuff (like for a rebuild) it'll be from Suzuki or the boneyard for some decent used parts. Prepare to bend over from Suzuki if you need something new that only the dealer can get you.

Not familiar with Subaru Impreza of those years. The only thing I know is they are full AWD whereas the SX4 is only FWD till you get wheel spin in the front then it transfers torque to the rear. You can lock the transfer case from 0-30mph if you need to then the car will revert to it's AWD system based on front wheel spin.

Tony
    10 SX4 6sp AWD, 17 CX-3 AWD
    19 Corvette ZR1
    09 Z06 (gone), 13 Shelby GT500 (gone)

Quote Originally Posted by Cman View Post
    Regular automatic SX4 is only for model year 07-09, from 10-13 they are CVT. I'm not a big auto fan so it's MT in my books.

If you are looking for regular wear and tear parts they are easily available afkt from Rock Auto and other afkt manufacturers will make parts for this car. If you need specific SX4 stuff like trim, interior/exterior stuff and major engine stuff (like for a rebuild) it'll be from Suzuki or the boneyard for some decent used parts. Prepare to bend over from Suzuki if you need something new that only the dealer can get you.

Not familiar with Subaru Impreza of those years. The only thing I know is they are full AWD whereas the SX4 is only FWD till you get wheel spin in the front then it transfers torque to the rear. You can lock the transfer case from 0-30mph if you need to then the car will revert to it's AWD system based on front wheel spin.

Tony
    Thank you for you answer Cman. I am looking at used 2007-2009 cars for now as the price is lower. Should I be afraid of a high mileage sx4?

If there is documentation on owner and service history most cases no.

If u find one, go over it with a fine tooth comb, test drive. Have your trusted technician go over it again, check fluids on all the majors (level and colour), if it checks out then should be good to go.

These are solid reliable vehicles, so as cman has pointed out if you find one which is well maintained and can get it checked out by a mechanic then go for it. Used suzukis are generally cheaper than competition which is good for the buyer .... Parts have been easy to find.
    The last few times I have been to Quebec I have seen so many sx4s, definitely more than what I see in Ontario.
    The subarus from 2006 - 2007 time frame are good but I believe little more costlier on maintenance ... eventually the head gasket on those go at higher mileage and they have a timing belt which has to be changed at roughly every100k
    2010 sx4 JX AWD

There were a few model of Subie engines drinking oil.

Once you got the SX4, do a compkete fluid change from brake to tranny, power steering. check drive shafts u joints.
    You can a complete set of ftont end suspension not that expensive. just mske sure you get a very good alignment shop.

do a good browse in this forum.
    2007AWD auto.212k km..K/N air filter,AUXinput,Grp34size Battery
    Fixes..alternator,swybarlnk,cntrlarm,innertierod,P wiperarm,Rexhaustjnt,Raxleseals,Ujoints,idler,tens ioner pulleys.

Thanks for the help guys! I'm definitely leaning towards the sx4 as the impreza has a bad reputation with the 2.5 engine.
    I'm checking one out today, a 2008 awd, AT, with 211000kms. I'll be back with some news.

Good luck with checking out that Sexy 4 vehicle.

Just to give you an idea on my ownership history, GF and I had gotten a 07 car 5sp brand new it was her car drove it for 7 years and other than oil changes and regular maintenance ran great. I did 1 set of brakes and under warranty it needed an O2 sensor (on 07-09 cars when you remove oil filter some oil can drip onto the O2 sensor wiring and plug and could cause an issue, there was a bulletin about that from Suzuki, fix was to shield the O2 sensor area from dripping oil during oil changes) and auto climate control panel.

Then in 2014 car was in a totalled accident (some dumb**** street racing rear ended her car as she was heading to work 1 Saturday for OT), she was ok but suffered a shoulder injury that took 4 years to sort out (legally and otherwise). Car did the job to protect her so the hunt was on for another one.

Found the 2010 that we have now, 1 owner car 6sp with just under 100k when we got it she drove it for 3 years till I took it over when we bought the 17 CX3 as her current ride. This car was maintained well, but with the history I got with the car it showed under warranty it had a PS pump replaced, belt tensioner, and RR wheel hub assembly. It's been good but I feel the 07 car was probably a little better since we did buy it new.

Since I've owned it, it now has 155k and I've done brakes a couple times (I'm hard on brakes) and a few other replacement stuff. I've replaced a starter, alt, and battery. It is 10 years old and in most cases these things will be items that are starting or going to go. I feel I now have the car all ready for anything for quite a while.

You can search my name for all the threads I've started about this car and the other one (if it searches back that far).

As hercules said, the SX4's were EXTREMELY popular in the province of Quebec, mosty because at their time, AWD in a sexy vehicule like that was rather rare. .... subarus have an history of blown head gaskets....
    2011 sx4 JX AWD CVT 37000km(Oct2019) Also drives 2015 KIA Sorento AWD 2.4

Good choice. Hope you go with the sx4. Such an underdog.
    AWD 2013. CVT. Beast (RIP 2019)
    AWD 2013 6 speed Monster (stay tuned)