Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Aux Jack for Non-GPS Stock HUs

ooooooo - i just checked and my images are still "under review" - so hopefully the moderators will approve and they will show?

(i do see the image on this thread)
    2009 SX4 2.0L i4 iAWD Crossover ATX

is it displaying now?
    2009 SX4 2.0L i4 iAWD Crossover ATX

yes the clarion diagrams are being shown now thanks for posting those !

I did this mod and it worked well I didn't even use solder either but it still came out okay I should say that in retrospect I wish I took the stock unit out before I did anything because there was an extra harness leftover from the previous owner that went to the navigation unit which I didn't care to use .. the cd cable works great anyhow it was a very smart idea. thanks for the great advice!

there is some sort of after market rca output dongle on my stock that i had no idea was there too!

I should also say that the diagram on the back of the 3 in a half millimeter jack receptacle was kind of confusing I make it look like you can wire to either of 2 or 3 retrospectively or 4 or 5 but what u really have to do is wire 2 and 3 together and 4 and 5 together and then wire them to the ring and tip....

Quote Originally Posted by AdR View Post
    I did this mod yesterday and although the directions are pretty useful I had an awful time figuring out the HU's pin schematic. Had to search like crazy to get the correct pin layout. This is the schematic from the old forum by icbm that worked for me:

Original thread: http://www.sx4club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3085
    Thank you very much for posting this excellent diagram. Using this diagram and the other help offered in this thread, I added the Aux jack to my 2008 SX4. I had most of the parts, so all it took was about 15 minutes of soldering time and 30 minutes of installation time... very nice! FWIW, I used a 1,000-Ohm resistor, and that works fine. I used a pair of diagonal cutters to snip the plastic ridges off the CD-ROM audio connector, as those ridges were preventing the connectors from sliding smoothly into the jack on the back of the Suzuki's stereo. Works great!

Bob Kovacs
    www.bobkovacs.com
    Last edited by BobKo; March 5th, 2012 at 08:14 AM.

alright so slightly stupid question with this one, Is this a mod where it is better off keeping it within the short span to the faceplate of the HU or would it be feasible to run it something like in this thread (http://clubsx4.com/forum/showthread....light=AUX+Jack). I've not done anything like this yet but would like to be able to actually use my Ipod for what I bought it for. probably going to be picking up the things tomorrow when I get the chance and giving this a shot though not going to lie unless wiring in a new stereo i'm usually completely useless with these things.

Also I apologize is this is considered resurrecting a dead thread

so i've managed to get almost all the parts to do this DIY. finding the cd-rom audio cable in person is actually proving to be difficult. thinking going to have to order off amazon.com. other than this everything is in the right working order lol.

Thanks for this mod. I'm planning on doing it this weekend.

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but the first picture of the CD-Rom Audio cable in the original post, where its just a picture of the product, has got a red, a white, and a black lead coming out of either end. The next picture it shows of the Cd-Rom cable, where the leads have been cut and striped, has got a red, a white, and *2* black leads running from it. I'm just wondering if I missed a step somewhere, because the CD-Rom cable I ordered: http://www.walmart.com/ip/StarTech-C...-Gray/20532083 looks like the first picture. By that I mean it has a white lead, a black lead, a blank space, and then a red lead, if you were to look at it with the retaining clip facing you. If I ordered the wrong cable, could somebody post a link to where I might find the right one? Neither my local Radioshack or Bestbuy seemed to have any idea what I was looking for, even though I was armed with pictures and descriptions. Grats

Don't worry about the picture with 2 black leads. Even though the composite 8 pin plug is made from 2 1x4 plugs there aren't more than 3 used pins in either plug ref post #2.