Thread: Clutch Problem

Clutch Problem

Hi All.

Sorry for the rough first post. I'm desperate.

2012 Suzuki SX4. About 90,500 miles.

Current Issue
    In bumper to bumper traffic...with no notice, clutch stopped working. With no clutch pedal depressed, and the engine running, you can freely shift into any gear you want, including reverse. If you DO push the pedal, the level of resistance/spring is what you would normally expect. It has no effect on the ability to shift gears, one way or another. Shifting gears with or without pedal doesn't offer any resistance in the shifter, noise, etc. The shifter itself moves fine and does not seem particularly sloppy.

Is there any possibility this is something simple? When the slave cylinder went out before, you could push the pedal to the floor with no resistance - so I kinda think it is not that. There is also no clutch smell or any smell indicative of abnormal behaviour. No obviously leaking was observed, and the fluid is at the top level in the reservoir under the hood.

Relevant History
    Slave cylinder replaced ($1700) @ 55K miles or so.
    • Going slow up hill...just stopped moving
    • Pedal to the floor, little to no resistance

Clutch replaced ($2100) @ 36K miles or so.
    • She burned the clutch bad. Took months for the smell to go away after the repair job
    • Was in bumper to bumper traffic on interstate

Other Recent History
    Within the last (estimated) 5000 miles, I have:
    • Replaced all four tires
    • Replaced rear brakes
    • Replaced rear calipers
    • Replaced rear rotors
    • Replaced front control arms
    • Replaced front outer tie rod ends
    • Had an alignment performed
    Last edited by ihatemycar; June 25th, 2020 at 09:16 AM.

checked your brake fluid stuff? could be slave again.
    or
    it Sounds like clutch plate spring or clutch is badly worn to me.
    Tripbto mechanic.

Fill in your location, we presume yours is a North America model. sedan or hatch? awd or fwd.
    2007AWD auto.212k km..K/N air filter,AUXinput,Grp34size Battery
    Fixes..alternator,swybarlnk,cntrlarm,innertierod,P wiperarm,Rexhaustjnt,Raxleseals,Ujoints,idler,tens ioner pulleys.

Quote Originally Posted by CF7 View Post
    checked your brake fluid stuff? could be slave again.
    or
    it Sounds like clutch plate spring or clutch is badly worn to me.
    Tripbto mechanic.

Fill in your location, we presume yours is a North America model. sedan or hatch? awd or fwd.
    Yes, I checked brake fluid. It is topped off - and hasn't leaked out in the 4 months since the vehicle has been sitting since it died.

It's the SX4 hatchback with AWD. Purchased new in Anchorage, Alaska.

Grab yourself a copy of the Service Manual in the sticky thread from this forum.

May you want to check the clutch pedal free play or adjustments. otherwise. check the diagnostic part.
    2007AWD auto.212k km..K/N air filter,AUXinput,Grp34size Battery
    Fixes..alternator,swybarlnk,cntrlarm,innertierod,P wiperarm,Rexhaustjnt,Raxleseals,Ujoints,idler,tens ioner pulleys.

Well, sold the car for $200. Whatever problem it has, it is someone else's problem now.