Thread: P0304 & P0401 codes, I'm out of ideas

P0304 & P0401 codes, I'm out of ideas

Good day fellow SX4 owners!

A few months ago, in my 2007 1.5 SX4 (M15A) the engine was swapped (the old one got toasted). For the first 500 km it worked perfect, no check engine etc. After that I noticed that my consumption raised to 8-8.3l/100km - with the old, I had 7-7.2l/100km - also the P0401 popped up, which is the EGR valve. Now a few weeks ago yet another code popped up, P0304, cylinder 4 misfire. Spark plugs look how they should. I replaced the ignition coil with a new one, still the same. Then from the old engine I switched the injectors and MAF sensor. This seemed like it'd do the trick, the engine ran much smoother, and a light smoke raised from around cylinder 4 (which I guess was the extra fuel getting burnt or I don't know). However consumption raised to 9.4l/100 km on highway, 8.9l/100km in city. The P0304 is still there, also the check engine light flashes under 2000 rpm, above it, it stops flashing. I don't notice any change in performance, however it is hard to start, especially with warm engine. It doesn't struggle at high speeds, I can perfectly go with 130-140 km/h.

So right now I'm out of ideas.

Can the EGR valve do anything with the misfire? Should I swap/clean it and then test it? Should I just seal the EGR valve (it's a very common thing to do here in Hungary.)

Could it be compression? If so, what can I do with that? I already spent around 1500$ on this, and I don't really want to get a third engine.

Thank you for you help!

Vic
    Last edited by Sasorii; June 6th, 2020 at 09:08 AM.

P0304 is related to intake leak.
    since engine isbreplaced. intake and exhaust ruunners must be removed and put back.

check your intake seal...your can spray starter fluid at the intake runners. when there is a leak engine rpm changes that you can hear.
    2007AWD auto.212k km..K/N air filter,AUXinput,Grp34size Battery
    Fixes..alternator,swybarlnk,cntrlarm,innertierod,P wiperarm,Rexhaustjnt,Raxleseals,Ujoints,idler,tens ioner pulleys.

Sounds like two unrelated issues. First, remove, clean, and reinstall with new gaskets the egr valve. If there are any pipes or tubes attached to the egr valve remove, clean and reinstall then as well.

As far as the misfire, likely an intake manifold gasket as previously stated. Unfortunately most modern ecus react so quickly that the old carb cleaner trick doesn't always work. Best bet is to remove the intake manifold and replace the gasket. Good luck, hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

So, I finally had the time to mess with the car. EGR valve removed, cleaned, new gaskets, reinstalled. It actually turned out that, it was sealed for some reason, so I put on the egr valve from the previous engine, seems fine for now. Intake manifold gasked replaced - it actually was disgusting, and wasn't even on properly. I still get the error codes, however they are not stored, check engine flases and then doesn't stay on. Check engine still flashes under 2000 rpm, at low speeds, above 2000 rpm nothing. However I felt that the engine struggled twice for a second.

My test drive was only about 15 km, doest it need a longer drive to get adjusted, or should I just give up and take it to a service?

Could it be an ECU problem?

all your vaccum line checked?
    and the exhaust side?
    O2 sensirs connection?

if it is still struggle at low RPM.
    try put a bottle of fuel injrctor cleanr... ot take the injectors out for cleaning. inspoect. etc.

donzy forget to update your profile and spp rox location or country.
    Fixes..alternator,swybarlnk,cntrlarm,innertierod,P wiperarm,Rexhaustjnt,Raxleseals,Ujoints,idler,tens ioner pulleys.

So, I took it to a mechanic. It turned out I have 0 bar compression in cylinder 4. That's probably the cause of the misfire error code. Any ideas, what can I do with it? They told me I should put an other engine in, howerver it'd be the 3rd engine in the car now, and it's a lot of money.

do you get warranty from your current used engine?
    usually 90 days from scrap yard.
    call them and see what they can do.

otherwise. it is an engine rebuilt.

the compression lost. piston ring, piston crack, valve bend, vslve seal leak. or even head gasket crack.

I had a 30 days warranty, which already expired in march. They offered me a the third engine, for a lower price + installation, however it's an M15A from a Swift, I'm not sure if I should go with it. I had the idea, to try and get my 2 bad engines take it to a mechanic and make 1 good out of it. Is it an okay idea?