Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is SX4 from 2010 a good choice?

Is SX4 from 2010 a good choice?

Hi there!!

I知 looking to buy a second hand SX4. That type of car is really what I知 looking for. Looking for 2WD as I don稚 need AWD and wants a more fuel economic car.

What do you think about a SX4 from 2010? Are there many known faults or things I should look for?

/Dobby

I have a 2010 bought in 2012 and have had a few wear items but that's about it. If the car has been maintained it should be just fine.
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde

-};>~

I think by 2010 they are using the 150hp version of the engines, which must be quite peppy. I would just check underneath in case someone never washed it in winters , start it up, see how it goes. Suzuki got a reputation of being a motorcycle trying to be a car maker, and not without some accuracy on that account, but these cars you're looking at have a drivetrain that is proven on multiple cars.

2010 appears to be the only year the *automatic* SX4 came with a CVT automatic transmission; prior years have a 4-speed automatic. So if I were looking at a 2010, I would want to search the forum and internet for whether that Suzuki CVT, first year in service, was a more reliable auto trans than the already proven 4-speed in the 2009's and before? (or find a manual...)

No, it is not peppy unless you ream it up past 4000 rpms all the time. There is no low end torque in these cars and putting around town it feels kinda dead. My 01 Sentra SE had way more balls down low with a decent top end to match.

I'm driving a 10 M6 car and it's my daily so I just put up with it and pay the price at the pumps if I want more pep out of it. To the OE poster if you are looking for a SX4 but don't want or need AWD I can think of a lot of other cars that would do the job better. A FWD SX4 is not a big deal. The SX4's claim to fame is the AWD, more popular econo cars like Hondas or Toyotas do a MUCH BETTER job of getting to point a to b and most cases be less expensive to maintain and operate. Parts availability is also much better and you take a lesser hit on depreciation compared to this car.

I know this is a SX4 MB, I don't mind my car but I tell it like it is. I can see the purpose of the car being an AWD drive if that is what you are looking for but if not I'd be driving a different car.

Tony
    10 SX4 6sp AWD, 17 CX-3 AWD
    19 Corvette ZR1
    09 Z06 (gone), 13 Shelby GT500 (gone)

Quote Originally Posted by Cman View Post
    No, it is not peppy unless you ream it up past 4000 rpms all the time. There is no low end torque in these cars and putting around town it feels kinda dead. My 01 Sentra SE had way more balls down low with a decent top end to match.

I'm driving a 10 M6 car and it's my daily so I just put up with it and pay the price at the pumps if I want more pep out of it. To the OE poster if you are looking for a SX4 but don't want or need AWD I can think of a lot of other cars that would do the job better. A FWD SX4 is not a big deal. The SX4's claim to fame is the AWD, more popular econo cars like Hondas or Toyotas do a MUCH BETTER job of getting to point a to b and most cases be less expensive to maintain and operate. Parts availability is also much better and you take a lesser hit on depreciation compared to this car.

I know this is a SX4 MB, I don't mind my car but I tell it like it is. I can see the purpose of the car being an AWD drive if that is what you are looking for but if not I'd be driving a different car.

Tony
    Thank you appreciate all the comments!

Tony - The main reason I would like a SX4 is that it’s higher build and would fit better for driving on small forest roads when I’m out fishing.

To get the most ground clearance you have to buy the Crossover AWD version.
    Feline mechanics Maggie the moggie and Duke
    2011 SX4 Crossover, 2018 ND Miata

The base version comes with 15in tires and is 5/8 " closer to the ground than with 16" tires. YOU did not mention the trim...but the middle trim (JX in Canada) comes with 16" tires and AWD is an option, so it may come as a FWD. your model is either the base or middle trim.
    YOu did not mention transmission type either. 6speed MT is no problem. THe CVT Auto is more of concern.....if it was equipped with a trailer hitch and CVT....I would pass.
    2011 sx4 JX AWD CVT 37000km(Oct2019) Also drives 2015 KIA Sorento AWD 2.4

Quote Originally Posted by LMP View Post
    The base version comes with 15in tires and is 5/8 " closer to the ground than with 16" tires. YOU did not mention the trim...but the middle trim (JX in Canada) comes with 16" tires and AWD is an option, so it may come as a FWD. your model is either the base or middle trim.
    YOu did not mention transmission type either. 6speed MT is no problem. THe CVT Auto is more of concern.....if it was equipped with a trailer hitch and CVT....I would pass.

Thanks good to know!

Can you help me understand one thing about the the visual aspects. Correct me if I知 wrong but was there a facelift from 2010? When I see adds on different yearmodels of SX4, some seems to appear rounder in the front and good and some look more squeezed and compressed in the front. Are there big differences between the yearmodels of SX4 or is it only the photos?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dobby; June 9th, 2020 at 12:39 PM.

Different grilles and bumpers: 07-09, then 10-12 and I believe 2013 (last year is different yet again).

The sedans also have different grilles and bumpers compared to the h/back cars IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Cman View Post
    Different grilles and bumpers: 07-09, then 10-12 and I believe 2013 (last year is different yet again).

The sedans also have different grilles and bumpers compared to the h/back cars IIRC.
    Ok that explains it!

Can you say which yearmodel is which on these cars:
    Attached Images Attached Images