Thread: Propshaft centre bearing and shaft splitting

Propshaft centre bearing and shaft splitting

Thought I would create this post as noone seems to have done it or posted a how to, apologies on lack of pics but I presume form the pics you will get the idea.

After removing your propshaft your left with this...

The large black round part is basically a CV joint.

s-l500.jpg

You need to start by peeling back the cover with a thin chisel it has a rubber boot underneath it and an O ring which I damaged.

IMG_0020.jpg

When you pull back the metalised rubber boot you see it is just a normal looking CV joint. You will see a circlip (hanging on the shaft after i removed it) which fits in a groove highlighted by my finger. Once you remove the clip and removing one ball bearing at a time the shafts now seperate leaving the pot on the other Shaft.

IMG_0022.jpg
    Inside the bot you will see a stake nut, use a small chisel to straighten the nut and use a 24mm socket to loosen it.

IMG_0023.JPG

The CV/Pot joint will now pull off the splines.

IMG_0024.jpg

I have already removed the bearing here but it simply taps off with a chisel.

I havent reassembled yet so will come back soon as I have to repair UJ.

The metalised dust cover on the pot joint I am hoping to re-use along with the O ring but cant see why a universal CV boot could not be used?

thx. nice pic

are you going to just change the grease only or check the ball bearings as well.
    2007AWD auto.212k km..K/N air filter,AUXinput,Grp34size Battery
    Fixes..alternator,swybarlnk,cntrlarm,innertierod,P wiperarm,Rexhaustjnt,Raxleseals,Ujoints,idler,tens ioner pulleys.

the ball bearings look fine.