Thread: Check Engine Light

Check Engine Light

Hey guys,

This is my first time posting to the forum. My wife and I each have 2008 SX4s and we really like them. I bought one in June (with about 122,000 miles) and it had the check engine light on but the day before I bought it, the previous owner had the emissions test done and it passed with no problems. My wife had an emissions test done yesterday (hers has 157,000 miles) and it passed as well but the light had been on just a couple days before. I've done some reading on the forum and people are saying to replace the 02 sensors or the cat. I got the P0420 code on my wife's car a few months ago and a mechanic said we needed a new cat. I highly doubt that the cats are bad though as I know the check engine light is a pretty common issue with the SX4. Given that we both passed emissions though, could it be the 02 sensors or just some other flaw? I'd appreciate any ideas you guys may have because we are traveling for Christmas and I'd like to have cruise control as an option if possible. Thanks!

If you're not concerned with anything seriously wrong with your vehicle(s), I could always get my check-engine light to reset on my 2008 by briefly disconnecting the battery. This got the cruise to work again.

Of course, depending on what's tripping the code, it might go right back on.
    2008 AWD 5-Speed, Touring Package (Old SX4)
    2008 AWD Automatic, Base Model (New SX4)
    Salt Lake City, UT

Quote Originally Posted by jarrods08 View Post
    ...first time posting ...2x2008 SX4... 122,000 miles ... 157,000 miles...
    OK..write that down in your profile and/or signature with all details about car(s)..trim? AWD? ENgine type? Auto? manual? Hatch or sedan? LOcation?.....so we know each time you come back without having to ask .
    SX4's come in various versions with various options and engines depending on trim and country. Relevant replies come with accurate identification.
    Last edited by LMP; November 8th, 2019 at 05:33 AM.
    2011 sx4 JX AWD CVT 37000km(Oct2019) Also drives 2015 KIA Sorento AWD 2.4

Okay sorry about that. They are both manual, AWD, Sport Touring 2, with 143-hp 2.0 liter 1-4 engines, and we are in Salt Lake City.

thanks! I'll see if that helps.

Okay sorry about that. They are both manual, AWD, Sport Touring 2, with 143-hp 2.0 liter 1-4 engines, and we are in Salt Lake City.
    Transfer that down in your signature so that it shows in all your posts.
    2011 sx4 JX AWD CVT 37000km(Oct2019) Also drives 2015 KIA Sorento AWD 2.4

Hey guys,

This is my first time posting to the forum. My wife and I each have 2008 SX4s and we really like them. I bought one in June (with about 122,000 miles) and it had the check engine light on but the day before I bought it, the previous owner had the emissions test done and it passed with no problems. My wife had an emissions test done yesterday (hers has 157,000 miles) and it passed as well but the light had been on just a couple days before. I've done some reading on the forum and people are saying to replace the 02 sensors or the cat. I got the P0420 code on my wife's car a few months ago and a mechanic said we needed a new cat. I highly doubt that the cats are bad though as I know the check engine light is a pretty common issue with the SX4. If you want to find a auto diagnostic tool, you can visit AutoGuysLand and review with Mike Cross about this product. Given that we both passed emissions though, could it be the 02 sensors or just some other flaw? I'd appreciate any ideas you guys may have because we are traveling for Christmas and I'd like to have cruise control as an option if possible. Thanks!
    O2 sensor is often the cause of P0420. You can check if there is the exhaust for leaks first. If you don't have an exhaust leak, you can check the O2 sensor/catalytic converters. Good luck.