Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trunk lid handle : how to tighten ?

Trunk lid handle : how to tighten ?

Hello,
    I hope I'm on the right sub-forum for this question:

It's been a while that the trunk lid "bar" makes a rattling noise and one corner is a bit loose.
    It's probably a screw nut that got loose and fell inside between the hatchback and the thick plastic "tim" (?) of the inside.

Here on #7 is the trunk lid "bar/handle" (not sure of its proper name) I'm talking about:
    https://www.suzuki.co.id/eparts/uplo...15_CKD_131.jpg

I'm pretty confident that the *inside* thick plastic trim of the *lower* (when closed) part of the trunk has to be removed.
    The part where the little handle is to close the trunk once open.

I just can't find ANY instructions or pointers and I'm afraid to damage something.
    Checked the technical manual PDF as well and couldn't find anything either.

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA
    steve

nobody has a clue ?

At the handle that closes the trunk there is one "push in" rivet. The only one.
    I assume i can start from this but I'm afraid to break anything afterwards.
    Nobody has ever removed the inside trim to know what I should expect and how much tension it can take?
    It's an 11 yo car! lol...
    Last edited by sx4mtl; September 8th, 2019 at 09:50 PM.

The SX4 that I (ehh. wife) have just has a plastic cavity in the hatch plastic...so either it changed with the year, or you have a sedan????.....Please edit your signature with all details about your car, location, mileage, transmission,. etc...so we do not ask each time.
    2011 sx4 JX AWD CVT 37000km(Oct2019) Also drives 2015 KIA Sorento AWD 2.4

fellow Canadian here.
    Added on the signature and identical to yours (picture) only its a 2008 and FWD.

The cavity is what I was also talking about.

thx
    SX4 2008 Hatchback, FWD, manual, 110K km, / 65k miles, all stock- Montreal (Canada)

Follow up...

After getting to practice in a scrap yard and noticing that at least one SX4 had the same problem, i decided to write about my experience in the hopes of helping someone with the same problem.

It seems to be a frequent problem among the "loose screw on driver side mirror" and the "fender trim clips" since one of the two cars in the yard had the exact screw loose!

Here is the part in question:
    sx4.jpg

In order to tighten the screws you have to remove the trunk trim which is supported by plastic pins as usual.
    And here from the manual is the pin support of the trunk trim:
    screen.jpg

Once you remove the only 'push in' clip B, the rest are all A type and hence you have to slowly and carefully pull down the trim.
    Not sure if there is a correct way as I still haven't figured it out. I believe the best way is to start by pulling slowly and firmly and starting from the back.
    I'm pretty sure that there is no tool that can be used as the pins are far from the edges as you'll see and they hold the trunk trim very tight with no play.

Some clips may break so you better have some replacements handy.
    What's important is not to break what holds the clips - their bases - since otherwise you can't support the clip.

Here is a picture of a trunk trim after taken out:

sx4_trunk_trim.jpg

And here is the frame:
    trunk.jpg

As you can see, despite my best efforts one base broke. (the other x-marked part is a small plastic "push" edge. I guess it pushes against the frame to prevent vibrations. That broke too but it doesn't seem very crucial).
    Also notice that some clips stayed on the frame and most stayed on the trim.

If anyone has any body shop friends would be nice to ask how they deal with the problem.
    Either way, I hoped i shed some light for those who want to attempt to tighten the damn screw
    SX4 2008 Hatchback, FWD, manual, 110K km, / 65k miles, all stock- Montreal (Canada)

Time 1:55

SX4 4x4 Special Edition, petrol 1.6 VVT 88 kW, 5 speed manual, year 2014.
    I'm sorry. I do not understand English.

Kill rear wiper ?.....Obviously, this guy has never seen snow........
    2011 sx4 JX AWD CVT 37000km(Oct2019) Also drives 2015 KIA Sorento AWD 2.4

Quote Originally Posted by LMP View Post
    Kill rear wiper ?.....Obviously, this guy has never seen snow........
    As far as being a "car guy", it was really volkswagen's and audi's that brought me into the game. Note, I'm from upstate NY, and the rear wiper delete was like standard protocol. I never got it, never! A rear wiper on a hatch or wagon is a necessity in our climate but the fools do it almost every car they had...

... Ridiculous!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Interesting, but to go back to the main point of this thread :

Thanks @Milan! good catch and explains why my Google search didn't get it.
    But judging from the sounds as he rips the cover off, I'm sure the guy did break a couple of clips and maybe their bases.

Maybe I'm wrong but the best is to be slow and firm and start from the back (close to the rear wiper) and go around.
    But no matter what you do it's still a crap shot! lol...

I guess it varies with the age of the car and the weather conditions that's it's been over the years that affect the plastic components.

And yeah, if you leave in a snow zone don't ever think of removing the rear wiper!
    Last edited by sx4mtl; November 20th, 2019 at 07:35 AM.

Just saw this thread. I had the same problem about a year ago and could not figure out how the plastic trim is screwed in. The rattle was annoying ! I finally got some gorilla glue and applied it to the inside of the trim and after a bit for firm pressure for a couple of mins its as tight as it could be.
    2010 sx4 JX AWD