Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally purchased my SX 4

Finally purchased my SX 4

After 2 years of pondering and saving I have bought My SX 4 it is a 2012 2000 cc 6 speed manual Hatchback AWD. It has had one previous owner and only 52000 km on the odometer. First couple of days of driving it around getting used to a manual again but really enjoying it. Fitted my old rubber mats with a little scissor work. my waterproof front seat covers and a new Kurgo cargo cape for when taking my two Spaniels out and about.
    When the road tyre's reach end of life I intend on putting on some AT tires as I do venture on some tracks at least once a week, (not hardcore though)
    20190823_093520.jpg

Congrats on the new purchase! I hope you find lots of beneficial info in the forums - I know I have. Another great resource is VolvoSweden on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/volvosw...arch?query=sx4

Quote Originally Posted by Savedsol View Post
    Congrats on the new purchase! I hope you find lots of beneficial info in the forums - I know I have. Another great resource is VolvoSweden on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/volvosw...arch?query=sx4
    Thanks, I am sure I will use the resources on this forum and already read plenty about making the SX a more versatile vehicle when venturing off the tar seal.

It is interesting getting an understanding to the power characteristics of the engine, 6 gear flat road cruising, 5th gear slight inclines and 4th will cruise up open road hills with ease and third will take on the toughest hills with plenty to spare.69223420_10157493707729921_5454121124570857472_n.jpg
    2012 Suzuki SX 4 2000 cc 6 speed manual. Currently 53000 km.

Congrats! Planning to keep your car stock or modify it in the future?

I plan on putting on some AT tires 215/65/16 at some point as I do venture off the black stuff quite often. I think from what I have read there will be no issues with that size on stock suspension. I would like some under body protection but shipping anything heavy to New Zealand is expensive. I will see how far standard suspension can get me when I drive across the farm tracks to my hunting spots. So far all good.

I reinforced the wire to the rear diff (the AWD wire) with some plastic wire loom, zip ties and some RTV silicone at the bottom. I put the gap to the rear but left it unsealed so any water can dry out. Unrelated to off-roading I extended the A/C drain back past the sub frame. I did not get any skid plates because we have salt in the winter that needs to be blasted off. The oil pan and rear diff do need protection in my opinion if you go off road.

Thanks I must get under the SX4 and have a good look at what is likely to cause issues if clearance is compromised.

I get slight rubbing with Yokohama Geolandar G015 215/65R16 on the stock rims when turning full lock to the right. It rubs the front of the plastic bit in the drivers side wheel well. I swapped in the Euro spec 4x4 springs (for the 1.6 and 1.9L petrol engines) into my US spec SX4, however, the KYB replacement springs I used were slightly shorter than the Blueprint springs others have used on the forum. I'm looking to see if I can lift more with springs spec'd for the diesel cars. Overall I want more clearance if I need to use chains but the rubbing isn't much of an issue.

Thanks for that, off road yesterday hunting, at this point no ground clearance issues with stock tires and ground clearance.
    20190914_143651.jpg[ATTACH=CONFIG]2746
    A reasonable way off the blacktop. Two tired spaniels after a fun hunt.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HowieNZ1; September 14th, 2019 at 08:13 PM.