Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: How to: Change diff fluid (AWD)

I replaced the transmission oil and transfer case oil today. It is a 2011 Crossover and had 8160 miles. The manual says change the transmission oil at 7500 and the dealer didn't do it. The transmission oil came out nice and clean. I wanted something synthetic in there for winters. I don't know what the original Suzuki stuff is. I put Redline MTL 70W80 GL-4 in. Redline makes a big distinction for their transmission oil from differential and transfer case oil. Their point isn't the one about corrosivity, but the character of the oil need for the synchros, with differential oil being "too slippery". The fill plug required a hex wrench, different from anything else. From the little bit of driving I did afterward, the shifting seems smoother. Not that there was a problem before. The transfer case oil was black with a gob of goo on the pug. Both the fill and drain plugs worked with the plain wrench from the socket set as has been described by others. I put Amsoil Severe Gear 75W90 GL-5 into the transfer case.

The dealer will do it "if you pay them". It's not FREE service....nothing on the SX4 is FREE.
    But don't get Too Creative, , , only use the type of fluids that Suzuki recommends or you stand a good chance of voiding your warranty.
    All the correct fluids are listed in your Owners manual. Or ask a Suzuki tech. We have two of them on the Suzuki/SX4 forum.

Once you're out of warranty, you can use whatever you like. Even old french fry grease if you like. rofl
    Cheers!
    Shadow

Five time Suzuki Owner: My last Suzuki= a 2009 SX4, X-Over, iAWD, AT, Tinted and striped

Well, its not just "if you pay them". They don't want to do it, and it takes an argument. Then they don't say what they put in, just that synthetic isn't necessary and they don't use it. It's clear, though, that they don't follow Suzuki's service schedule. I couldn't find anything in town that matched Suzuki's specs, and had to order in from the best match I could get from the most respected lubricant companies. It drives better with the Redline oil. This fall I will put in a synthetic motor oil, and then I will see how the cold starts compare to last winter.

The next thing that goes in will be the Garmin EcoRoute HD.

I had no trouble at all, getting my dealer to do what my Owners Manual says to do. They were quite happy to take my money.
    Maybe a little TOO happy! Eh?

Now as far as what they put in, well, that's another matter all together. I can only assume that they put in GL5, (available at every Auto Parts store) which I'm sure they buy in bulk, just like their oil.
    I know that when I changed it (again) at 21k miles, I definitely put in GL5...no question about that.

The oil I drained out was fairly clean and there was only a small amount of powdered metal on the magnetic drain plug.

Now when I changed the Transfer Case oil, that was a completely different matter. My dealer had charged me $90 for changing that oil, (and also charged me for 2 quarts of GL5, @ $16 per quart) just 6k miles before, and the oil I drained out was cloudy and there was a huge GOB of metal on the magnetic drain plug. I'm now questioning as to whether they had really changed that oil or not.
    I'm still trying to figure out where they put two quarts of GL5, because the transfer case on the SX4 only takes 20+ ounces of oil. It's pretty tiny compared to other cars.

Oh well, that dealer is now out of business. Such is life!

Five time Suzuki Owner: My last Suzuki= a 2009 SX4, X-Over, iAWD, AT, Tinted and striped

here my version of a funnel for the manual transmission
    plastic pipe coupling and transparent rubber hose
    the hose is flexible so you can judge when the transmission is full
    price $2 max

im gonna make some kind of better funnel to catch the used fluid next time, my cut pepsi
    bottle didn't catch all of it, berk, trans fluid smell bad on the plastic guard :o/

for the diffs i used a kind of manual pump i already had and never used before...
    it worked fine.
    this time my pop bottle funnel worked fine for catching all drops of used oil.
    Last edited by n45w73; August 26th, 2011 at 10:59 AM.
    :o) Copper 2007 AWD MT JX

On my U.S. 2011 Crossover, the manual says change the rear diff oil at 7500 for normal service schedule. but it calls for 15000 miles for severe service schedule. How does that make any sense? My dealer only does it at 15000.
    2011 Crossover Tech-Silver, CVT, Tint

do it at 7500. It will be nasty and is probably a break in lube of some sort not intended for the long haul. I will be doing our 2011 at 7500 or sooner.
    2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD
    2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD
    1991 Samurai Soft-Top, 5-Speed, EFI

Yes, I plan to do it at 7500 also, just wondering why they wrote the schedules like they did. Doesn't make sense.
    2011 Crossover Tech-Silver, CVT, Tint

i did my first change at 25000km (kinda 15000miles) and mt fluid and both diffs were dirty with a good amount of goo on the plugs.
    this time at 50000km all my synthetic amsoil fluids were really not that bad a bottom layer of dirty oil and the rest was kind of clean, near no goo on the plugs ... im pretty sure i could extent the replacement period a lot, but i might not for warranty reason ...
    :o) Copper 2007 AWD MT JX

Going to replace the rear diff fluid next week. A couple of questions:

- Do I really need to use Teflon tape, or was that an extra measure?
    - Which bolt is the "fill" plug?

I was going to have the dealer do it. The dealer I usually go to wants $130 to change the rear fluid. The other Suzuki dealer in town wants $80. I need to change the fluid in my Sidekick, too so I figured I might as well do both vehicles.