Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to: Change diff fluid (AWD)

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post

The mechanic did admit to me that the rear diff oil was really nasty when he drained it out. That's typical.
    That first change needs to be done at 7500 miles, by the book.

Anyone will tell you the stuff smells to high heaven!

My car has 36k on it and i just change the rear diff fluid, transfer case and manual trans fluid. The transfer case fluid looked the worse to me, it was dark and had a slight burnt smell to it. The rear diff fluid had a slight green tint to it. Has anyone else seen this? The trans shifts better but that is due to changing to Mobil 1. I recomend that to everyone. With the 0 degree mornings here in the northeast I'm no longer having any trouble getting into first gear now.
    Rob S
    09 SX4 Crossover Tech Package
    99 Mustang GT CP autocross-track whore
    www.SJFPerformance.com
    www.pdadrivingschool.com
    www.autox4u.com

Mobil 1 gear oil is rated GL-5. OK for the diff and T case. Bad news for the transmission. Need GL-4 in there. That smooth shifting won't last long with the wrong oil.

Quote Originally Posted by ibbob View Post
    Mobil 1 gear oil is rated GL-5. OK for the diff and T case. Bad news for the transmission. Need GL-4 in there. That smooth shifting won't last long with the wrong oil.
    Nope I still have some and checked again. Mobil1 75w-90 GL4 or GL5 compatible. It works great. Shifts much smoother than the stock fluid. Also in the cold it moves into first gear very nicely now.
    Rob S
    www.SJFPerformance.com
    www.pdadrivingschool.com
    www.autox4u.com

That is interesting! I will make a few calls about this. Thx for the heads up. I will have to see what kind or synchos and other components in our trans would be at risk here.
    Rob S
    www.SJFPerformance.com
    www.pdadrivingschool.com
    www.autox4u.com

It's really simple, guy. The tranny needs GL4. Change it ASAP instead of making phone calls. The GL5 will eat your synchros, get it out of there. My two cents. I have Redline synthetic gear oil (one of the few synthetics that makes a dedicated GL4 gear oil) and it improved my shifting dramatically. Shifter feels much nicer than before the change from the OEM oil, even though it felt OK then. Now, instead of OK shifter feel, I have wonderful feel. Also goes into gear much better in sub zero weather than it did with the OEM oil. Unfortunately, we have had plenty of sub zero weather and snow up here in NH to test that lately..........
    2009 AWD Hatchback, 5 speed, Tech Package, trailer hitch, Lifted, big tires, skid plates
    Others: 2002 Mustang GT Convertable (My fair weather ride) 2002 MR2 Spyder (Wife's ride)
    1947 Stinson 108-2 Airplane (My retirement flyer)

I spoke to a friend who builds transmissions for Getrag, and he said it should be fine. There is a difference between the two oils and he went into it in depth but he said if you left it in there for 30k miles it "may" affect your syncho's. This is from some one who designs and builds tranmissions for race cars. Sorry I'm not going to jump because someone on a website or forum says to change something. I've been in the automotive circles more than most people being an ex-pro driver. He did say if I was to remove the fluid he suggested Royal Purple. So I will look into that. I've used royal purple in one of my old road race cars and never had any trans problems. So that is probably what I will do.
    Rob S
    www.SJFPerformance.com
    www.pdadrivingschool.com
    www.autox4u.com

While GL5 may work you will get much better shift quality with GL4.
    If you leave the GL5 in eventually you will cause enough wear to the synchros that switching back to GL4 won't help.
    Take it from someone that has seen it many times.

If Suzuki thought GL5 would work well it would be in the owner's manual.

I have an auto but previous car was an RX-8 manual. Soooo many guys with messed up synchros from using a GL4/5 fluid.

Anyhoo, 1000 miles to go for this service and have been sitting on two bottles of Motylgear 75W-90. Is this good to go? We don't have a limited slip system do we?
    http://www.motorspotstore.com/motylgear75w90.html