Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2007 Suzuki SX4 awd crossover alternator replacement pulsing lights-voltage reg prob

2007 Suzuki SX4 awd crossover alternator replacement pulsing lights-voltage reg prob

Just installed my brand new alternator that was sitting in the box almost all winter. Had the common pulsing lights problem which kept getting worse and hopefully when I'm done with buttoning up the rest of this job tomorrow, that pulsing will finally be gone. What a difficult repair this has been. I got the factory e-manual & decided to follow the Suzuki book instead of the videos and forum posts I've seen going through ps pump route. After getting the intake manifold out, it was still difficult job, as that upper gen bolt is hiding slightly under the top ps pump bolt and ps pulley. Shop manual makes it appear as if that bolt is not obscured, but it is. The upper bolt stays in place and you pull the gen inward toward middle of eng compartment as you loosen that bolt with a 12mm wrench. It takes a WHILE. I also used a pry bar to gently apply pressure inward when I was doing it alone, but I had some help from family briefly to pull gen inboard while I wrenched what seemed like maybe an eighth of a turn of bolt per turn (if even that, lol) Once I finally got the old gen out, the new gen went in pretty easily. I was going to use a new bolt and bolt it in from behind (cut out orig upper bolt) if I couldn't get it started easily, but new gen caught right away so I just kept wrenching (for a long time) Once I had the new gen on the upper bolt a few threads, I put the lower gen bracket back on & got those 3 lower bolts started but not fully tightened. From there, it was just a matter of getting all the bolts tight and the 2 wire connections completed in back of gen. It may have taken longer to do the job this way (factory method) but I know it's done right and all ps components were left intact as well as eng mount and no need to jack up motor via oil pan. One more bonus is now I will have all new gaskets for my intake, as well as got the electric throttle body cleaned like new. I put a new serp belt on too while I was in there. Hopefully the rest of this job of putting it all back together will go smoothly and gen problem will be solved. If anyone is interested in a couple pictures of where I'm at now before installing intake manifold back in, let me know. I feel like I've really gotten to know this Sex4 intimately now and how she works. I didn't even know the starter and solenoid were hiding under the intake manifold but now I know I can get to that part if I ever need to. These cars are not really for those with no mechanical ability in my opinion as I'm sure the labor alone on this job around my area would have been at least $750 usd

Quote Originally Posted by FallRivSX4Dad View Post
    .... If anyone is interested in a couple pictures of where I'm at now before installing intake manifold back in, let me know....
    Can you post a link to your pictures ? There are so many threads on this issue with questions but rarely a return detailing the execution and a success....
    Last edited by LMP; April 5th, 2019 at 02:18 PM.
    2011 sx4 JX AWD CVT 35500km(May19) Also drives 2015 KIA Sorento AWD 2.4

there is video link on the alternator change in the HowTo thread.
    2007AWD auto.200k km..K/N air filter,AUXinput,Grp34size Battery
    Fixes..alternator,swybarlnk,cntrlarm,innertierod,P wiperarm,Rexhaustjnt,Raxleseals,Ujoints,idler,tens ioner pulleys.

Oh yeah, getting that power steering pump off sucked the big one. Worse yet was getting the bolts back in. Once that was done, the rest was relatively easy. I have no idea why anyone would mention to remove anything related to the intake. That was a colossal waste of time.

Even my SX4 had a similar of low rpm idling and switching off.A through clean of the airfilter and the adjustment of the ecu rpm at M.A.S.S sorted it out.

If your car is able to start,then the battery is not the issue.It could be a partially dirty throttle body

The sx4 works on drive by wire viz. the throttle butterfly is actuated electrically and not by a cable like say a old swift.

Just get the throttle body cleaned,and reset the TB; drive the car for a few kms for the ecu to get data and then things should be fine. Click here

My car never had hard starting or flickering lights. We just came back from a two week vacation where it Sat in the driveway the whole time the alternator is seized-seized. The belt was just smoking and disintegrating.
    I went the route of VolvoSweden's YouTube and it worked well but still sucked. A slim ratchet, extensions and swivel are very necessary. Also 6 point sockets.

Replacing generator by removing intake manifold is definitely the proper way according to the factory repair manual. I made sure I had 2 sets of new gaskets. One for the 4 "tubes" and 1 gasket for the elec throttle body. Gaskets are orange rubber (book says to replace) It was a pretty simple procedure. I followed exact instructions, step by step. The only place that requires patience is where one uses a 12mm open end wrench behind the ps pulley to loosen upper gen bolt, it stays in place. You pull the generator inwards to center of car. Makes accessing the connectors and all other items easy to reach. Going thru ps pump wasn't an option for me, my hands are massive & I like to be able to see what I'm doing without being a contortionist. I have some pics somewhere of the intake removed, hope I can find them. It solved the lights pulsing issue I was having as well as an overcharging condition so I'm pretty sure it was the voltage regulator inside the generator itself. Replaced with brand new unit from rock auto. Having another charging system issue right now with battery light on, I don't think it's the generator but we'll see. I think it's a wire or fusible link thing. To me, this is a difficult vehicle to work on because I'm a big guy. These SX4's were the coolest compact suvs ever made imo but now this one is 12+ years old and I may get rid of it unless I can get my charging system issue resolved. Not very knowledgeable about auto electric, more of a basic diy guy brakes, tune up, etc.
    Last edited by FallRivSX4Dad; August 10th, 2019 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomrt View Post
    Oh yeah, getting that power steering pump off sucked the big one. Worse yet was getting the bolts back in. Once that was done, the rest was relatively easy. I have no idea why anyone would mention to remove anything related to the intake. That was a colossal waste of time.
    I guarantee my completion time was much faster with less aggravation by removing the intake manifold to change out the generator than by messing with the ps pump route. That's why it is the in the factory manual to do it that way. Many who go that way later have ps pump issues like not getting the bolts back in right or leaks from the ps fluid. I'm possibly going to have to remove manifold again and even though that also sucks, it opens up entire rear & middle of eng compartment so one can get to other components.

Context to above picture?