Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2007 Suzuki SX4 awd crossover alternator replacement pulsing lights-voltage reg prob

i was trying to upload a few photos of the intake manifold removal I did to change out the alternator. not really good at the photo posting and it even rotated wrong way on me so I didn't finish the upload. I'm still sitting here trying to figure out the best way to check the alternator wiring without having to remove the intake again? I just can't seem to reach anything in back there where alternator is the way it's designed. My charging light is on & under load of components the battery isn't being recharged enough to keep all accessories on. Alternator was new a few months ago & battery brand new but still charging light is on. I also replaced serp belt and tensioner so I'm 50/50 on whether it's the alternator or a wiring problem. I'm leaning toward a wiring issue but I'm a beginner noob so not sure what to do now

After alternator was replaced, everything was working mint and car was perfect until I did an unrelated repair to exhaust area and the charging light came on. I thought it was an engine ground problem but I checked those and even replaced ground strap that had turned to green oxidized dust that same day

Does it throw a code you can read? I would certainly double check the connections on the new alternator. The wire loom is reachable just getting under the car - possible you can get to the 10mm lead too, just not really service it. https://youtu.be/_2ho3rgCjuE?t=291

Does sound like you have a ground or short from whatever you did later on.

I ran a fresh wire from my positive alternator terminal to positive battery and was only getting 12.2-12.48 volts with nothing on (no accessories at all) I had my original alternator tested at an old timer's rebuilding shop & he said original alt was putting out 75 amps with sort of a loose belt on it in his machine so he called it good but my original issue was all lights (int & ext) pulsing big time. My theory is that original alt killed the 4 yr old cheapo battery that was in it and also that orig alt has a volt reg issue or too much ac ripple. After installing new alternator everything was okay for about 45 days & then got that charging light on after working on something else. Water may have also gotten in that alt but I ended up getting new battery in the process & I've made several attempts to fix problem by cleaning grounds, checking fuses, etc. I'm pretty sure new alt may have been damaged by overworking to make up for bad battery & now that seems toast. It's certainly not charging battery right, maybe a little but under any load of accessories at all, no juice to battery. I bought a brand new alternator & going to put it in Fri-Sun this weekend & double check all wires etc when intake is off. After consulting with my Dad, who is old school mechanic & the old rebuilder guy, they say if there's not at least 13.4+ volts coming off that terminal nut post, it's probably alternator. Anyway, one last attempt to get this running right before I give up and send to a "pro" mechanic. This isn't my area of expertise and I consider myself a novice mechanic anyway. Also I put a new belt & tensioner on it so eliminated that possibility. Just by process of elimination, I'm hoping the new alt does the job for good.

I was trying to upload the photos I had of the access to the alternator & starter, etc with the intake manifold removed. I have a few more pic but not too good at putting images on here right side up or rotated properly. I t doesn't seem like anyone is interested anyway really so no worries

I wouldn't say no interest. It's not a super active forum anymore but still useful learning material for those around and who will be. Wish I had some better thoughts for you but sounds like your generator is wonky indeed.

Should get group 34 battery.
    I have an sx4 alternator with cracked housing. electrical parts are still good.
    2007AWD auto.200k km..K/N air filter,AUXinput,Grp34size Battery
    Fixes..alternator,swybarlnk,cntrlarm,innertierod,P wiperarm,Rexhaustjnt,Raxleseals,Ujoints,idler,tens ioner pulleys.

I put new alternator in & after getting to the connections I think I messed up last install and didn't click in the lower pigtail properly, it may have even been backward. I ordered a brand new alternator thinking the the other new one was junk so I have 2 new ones and the original. 2nd new was only 129.99 at walmart free shipping and working mint now, car is running so sweet except for one other issue I found searching here. If anything, the SX4's break in similar and predictable ways, lol

Also now that I've done the alternator job twice, I feel like I've mastered that task and can get intake manifold and even the alternator itself in less than an hour, draining coolant also going by the shop manual. I disconnected less hoses & connections this time. Keeping my other new alternator as back up as I think I just had snap in connection backward, DUH!!! ******* moves I make sometimes

Glad you are mastering this alternator change process.
    Since you have a new one on the shelf, it is easy to take a picture of the "lower pigtail" connector and post it so I can figure out the meaning of "backward". ALso give details of car...is it a manual or auto....and if an auto, did the listed alternator come with a speed limiting clutch? (the straight model is OK anyway..and less expensive) .
    2011 sx4 JX AWD CVT 35500km(May19) Also drives 2015 KIA Sorento AWD 2.4