Thread: nskeim engine swap

nskeim engine swap

I was very interested in the J23 engine swap into a SX4 that nskeim did some time ago.

I'm interested in such a swap but on a simpler level. Nskeim summarised that if you swapped the J20A crank and head over to the J23 block it would be a very easy swap and I'm wondering if anyone has done this yet?
    ie: Does the J20A crankshaft swap straight over - same journals etc?
    ie: does the J20A head swap straight over - same head bolt pattern, same timing chain parts and alignment, does the compression ration remain safe or is a thicker gasket or headplate required, valve to piston clearance safe etc etc etc.

It would be a great swap if its pretty straight forward and runs on the same J20A Ecu which nskeim was able to do.

NoBody???

•If you can use the J20A head and crankshaft, and I don't know 100% that you can, but probably, then it should be a very easy drop in swap.

its not even sure its works like you said ...and for what gains? I mean...you need 2 engines to get ..
    Still at that point everything needs to be custom so get an swap that's is known or turbo it
    2011 black manual hatch
    Mods: Black housing, RRM SRI, dipped interior bits, Pioneer HU w infinity kappa speakers, tainted windows, remote start, 16x8 R32 gtr wheels...

I, myself wouldn't mind a larger displacement engine. I would expect that it would result in significantly greater torque. So far, it is my only complaint about the J20a engine. Horsepower is good.

Oh, and I also don't like how the power steering pump bolts go in. Yuck.

There is some information on this that I have seen. I may want to do it someday myself for a sidekick. the reason you would swap the head and crank is because the crank is forged and the head allows for the proprietary sx4 cam sensor, as the j23 uses a different style. this can be worked around and has been before but it was a lot of work i saw. You may need custom pistons. and if i were to do it id probably put forged rods in it.
    2007 SX4 Hatchback J20A Manual, turbo install in progress; http://clubsx4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8665
    also own a 1996 X90 4wd 4 inch lift on 30's G16B Manual

Does the J23 match up to the 13 cvt ?
    The ABSOLUTE BEST car under $20K with AWD any where in Rome!

Now "Mighty Mouse" runs like a Dothriki Whore, on horse heart 1$ night!"