Thread: Engine swap: 2007 M16A --> 2010 M16A

Is it possible to do an engine swap? 2007 M16A --> 2010 M16A

Long story short, the engine needs replacing (no compression in 3 cyinders, almost no compression in the 4th, motor just spins freely on the starter motor. Most likely bent valves and at 320k km isn't worth rebuilding). I have a european spec sx4 from 2007 with a 1.6 litre petrol (gasoline) engine, which I understand is the M16A. I read that this engine was improved in 2010 models and provides more horsepower and increased fuel efficiency. Since I have to replace the engine anyway, I figure it would be nice to improve the car at the same time so it doesn't feel like a complete waste of money.

My question is, can I take one of these newer M16A engines and just do a straight swap? Or will that cause problems for the computer etc?
    Last edited by Deddly; January 12th, 2019 at 12:49 AM.

I should have said 2006 to 2010, sorry.

Engine will be purchased within a day or two, so any input would be much appreciated, thanks!

maje sure the 2010 cpu comes with engine.
    2007AWD auto.200k km..K/N air filter,AUXinput,Grp34size Battery
    Fixes..alternator,swybarlnk,cntrlarm,innertierod,P wiperarm,Rexhaustjnt,Raxleseals,Ujoints,idler,tens ioner pulleys.

Thanks for the reminder. I wonder if it would have worked. Unfortunately, the cost to replace the engine just kept increasing, so it is unlikely this nice little car will run again

Served us well up to that point...

Rebuilding the engine is like you are getting a new engine only if use Suzuki parts. aftermarket parts do not last well.
    replacing with a liw km engine is probably a better choice.
    2007AWD auto.200k km..K/N air filter,AUXinput,Grp34size Battery
    Fixes..alternator,swybarlnk,cntrlarm,innertierod,P wiperarm,Rexhaustjnt,Raxleseals,Ujoints,idler,tens ioner pulleys.

Any recommendations we need a motor this week BUT WANT ALL SUZUKI OFF ROAD RACING **** IF POSSIBLE. LET ME KNOW WHILE IA HAVE THE CHECK BOOK OUT!
    The ABSOLUTE BEST car under $20K with AWD any where in Rome!

Now "Mighty Mouse" runs like a Dothriki Whore, on horse heart 1$ night!"

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSilenceDoGood View Post
    ... we need a motor...
    Which type ?
    2011 sx4 JX AWD CVT 33000km(Jan19) Also drives 2015 KIA Sorento AWD 2.4