Thread: Possible to keep cruise control while a Check Engine light is on?

Possible to keep cruise control while a Check Engine light is on?

I've read various posts from the past where this issue was brought up, but each ended up with tips on fixing the CEL.

In my case, that won't happen. Engine issue where it's throwing an EVAC code. Even after $1500 of work, a failed emissions test, the code will just stay with the car forever.

Yet, as we know, the Cruise Control is disabled automatically if there is any type of CEL.

Is there a way to disengage the cruise control disablement from the check engine light? I have a code reader that can clear codes, which I do before long trips, but within 100 miles the CEL comes back on (as expected).

Well......the cruise is integrated within the engine control computer...., not an independant component like in the good old times. The throttle vlave is electronic..not mechanically linked to the pedal..so already inside the overall control...which contains the codes . Big brother is the master....
    NOw.... 1500$ of work...all for that issue ? IN fact, what is the code number exactly....gas tank loss of negative pressure or gas recirculation valve...etc...? I did not have this issue so I can just speculate...but I'm sure others on this forum have been victims of the same...and will come soon.
    Can oyu add more details about your car, transmision type, mileage, year...AWD?...location..etc. Use user CP to make this info permanent in your profile or signature.
    Last edited by LMP; January 8th, 2019 at 11:20 AM.
    2011 sx4 JX AWD CVT 35500km(May19) Also drives 2015 KIA Sorento AWD 2.4

There has to be a reason why the code is on there. Until you figure that out you could
    get a $10 bluetooth OBD scanner and leave it plugged in. Buy a $5 app called Torque
    and clear it out.
    2009 SX4 AWD 5 Spd Manual Touring Package Sunlit Copper

Yes, we know why the code is on there. That's apart from this question. P0456 and P2404 are the more recent ones.

The last write-up was for replacing the Vapor Vent Canister/Solenoid ($800/part, $125/rr). Plus various diagnostic runs and replacements for parts before then (troubleshooting started with just a gas cap). About $1300 altogether, so $1500 was a round-up.

That Canister/Solenoid was actually purchased a second time, as it still threw a code. Luckily able to return one as defective ... only to find that it wasn't defective, there was just a extremely minute separation that made it appear as if leaking.

But, at this point, fixing the code is not worth pursuing. We're going to keep it until the next mandatory emissions check, then scrap it since it'll never pass (each test requires $400+ of new parts replacements to waive it)

Sorry that the details of car weren't in there. I think my old signature got blanked:
    2008 SX4 AWD Auto in Sunlit Copper

Scrap it? Sounds pretty drastic considering some states/provinces do not require such a test. Where are you from?
    SX4 2007 AWD Manual
    Kizashi 2011 AWD CVT

Quote Originally Posted by Rurik View Post
    Sorry that the details of car weren't in there. I think my old signature got blanked...
    ...you show as a new member....hence all alledged previous info is lost. Location ?
    By the way, codes often show the victim of another problem , not the cause....but dealer service like changing parts....
    Last edited by LMP; January 10th, 2019 at 05:23 AM.
    2011 sx4 JX AWD CVT 35500km(May19) Also drives 2015 KIA Sorento AWD 2.4

Scrapping is maybe extreme

At the least, doing something with it for cheap. I'm in Maryland where there's a mandatory bi-annual emissions check, all based on OBD-II. It needs mileage for emissions, so a code clear will make it fail. And it fails automatically on CEL. So a waiver is required every test for $400 in repairs (which are visually verified). That worked for this repair, but won't in two years.

So I'd love to get at least two years of cruise control out of her before selling out of state, donating, etc. Unfortunately, off top of my head, I don't remember the details of the problem. I'd have to go back to our mechanic and see his raw notes.

Vehicles have a few "monitors" that need to be set before the emissions check can be done. The EVAP monitor is the last to set normally. Vehicles are allowed one monitor not ready. If you can set all the other monitors and head to the smog place between the time that the vehicles computer shows all but the EVAP monitor READY and BEFORE the check light comes on you'll pass. If you have a scanner that shows the monitors you can find this grey area. Now this won't solve the real problem with the vehicle nor will it solve your cruise control issue totally but once you have passed emissions you can clear your check light as often as you want to keep the cruise working.
    2010 SX4 Hatch
    Las Vegas, NV USA

If you end up scrapping it, I will buy it from you for $200 more than scrap value, (about $500) assuming the rest of the vehicle isn't a total POS.

I think it would be better to find someone a bit smarter when it comes to working on vehicles, rather than just load up the parts cannon and start shooting. Maybe they should hook up a smoke machine and hunt down the leak that way.

And move to a state where there aren't such... well, lets just say that you're too close to DC. An itty bitty evaporative emissions leak cannot possibly be worse for the environment than the effect of cutting a vehicle's life short in favor of another one being produced. But that's how gubberment works.

A friend of mine just moved from Wisconsin to Maryland, and when you bring a vehicle in from out of state, it has to get inspected. His vehicle was too rusty and it won't pass inspection. $zero$ trade-in allowance on it. He offered to just give it to me, and all I would have needed to do was fly there and drive it home, but I was too busy. I would have probably made about $500 on the deal. A rusty body is just part of life in the salt states and somehow, life goes on. But in Maryland, I guess people die from rusty vehicles.

To answer your question, I doubt there is such a way to get the cruise control working. Why they kill the cruise when there is such a fault, I have no idea. Some Toyota products will disable the anti-lock brakes and traction control because of an evaporative emissions fault, so who knows?

Or if you want to try throwing some more parts at it, try a purge solenoid or purge valve or whatever you call it. You mentioned it earlier that it was replaced, but it was also written in a form which would suggest that it is part of the canister, which it is not. You can even remove it and just try to blow through it to see if it leaks. You can also blow into the hose that goes from the valve down to where the canister resides and see if that is leaking.