Thread: 2010 SX4 keyless key fob

2010 SX4 keyless key fob

Is is possible to program a second hand key fob yourself to give a spare unit for the above mentioned vehicle
    Thanks
    Graham

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Refer to the service manual:
    If remote controller or keyless start control module is
    replaced or additional remote controller is necessary,
    register ID code(s) of remote controller.
    1) Sit in driver seat and close all doors.
    2) Check that door lock of driver seat is unlocked.
    3) Insert ignition key (1) into ignition key cylinder.
    4) Perform Steps a) through f) described blow within 25
    seconds after Step 3).
    a) First push manual door lock switch (2) toward
    lock side (3) and then push it toward unlock side
    (4).
    b) Repeat Step a) 2 more times.
    c) Push lock side of manual door lock switch.
    d) Remove ignition key from ignition key cylinder
    once and then insert it again.
    e) Repeat Step d) 3 more times.
    f) Start engine and wait for 3 seconds.
    SX4 4x4 Special Edition, petrol 1.6 VVT 88 kW, 5 speed manual, year 2014.
    I'm sorry. I do not understand English.

Quote Originally Posted by Milan View Post
    3) Insert ignition key (1) into ignition key cylinder.
    d) Remove ignition key from ignition key cylinder
    I'm just curious..I do not have keyless..so for me, keyless..kind of... means...keyless..so does that (ignition key) work with "keyless" too ????
    Last edited by LMP; December 5th, 2018 at 01:58 PM.
    2011 sx4 JX AWD CVT 32000km Also drives 2015 KIA Sorento AWD 2.4

In the "keyless" system, the "remote control" fob has a conventional key stored inside of it. That is the key that is used for this procedure. So, if the battery dies in the remote controller, you pop out the conventional key, stuff it into the ignition lock, and use it to start the vehicle. You can throw away the fob and just use a physical key if you wanted to for the rest of the life of the vehicle. You can make 50 copies of the key and they will all function without any kind of work. The remote controller fob somehow activates electronics within the ignition lock to allow you to turn the lock cylinder without a key inserted into it.

Without the "keyless" ignition, you can also make keys just like has been done for the last 90 years and you're all good, UNLESS:

In Canada, you have to find a locksmith with the proper equipment or a pseudo-suzuki dealer. The reason being, Canada requires vehicles to have immobilizers and you need the Suzuki SDT scan tool thing in order to get new "chipped" keys programmed, regardless if it is a "keyless" system or not. The keyless "remote control" fob has electronics in them to read the chip in the conventional "emergency" key which is stored inside the "remote control" and relay that code to the engine computer.

So, in typical government regulation fashion, they just cost you more money later on and whoever convinced them to adopt the laws just made out like a bandit.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomrt View Post
    ...The reason being, Canada requires vehicles to have immobilizers and you need the Suzuki SDT scan tool thing in order to get new "chipped" keys programmed, regardless if it is a "keyless" system or not. The keyless "remote control" fob has electronics in them to read the chip in the conventional "emergency" key which is stored inside the "remote control" and relay that code to the engine computer.So, in typical government regulation fashion, they just cost you more money later on and whoever convinced them to adopt the laws just made out like a bandit.
    Thanks for these details. About the keyfob with my "not keyless" SX4...I tested the immobilizer...just wrapped an aluminium foil around the key..and the immobilizer acted on, starting the car is then impossible.
    2011 sx4 JX AWD CVT 32000km Also drives 2015 KIA Sorento AWD 2.4

It might be possible to program one of those "non keyless" fobs to lock and unlock the doors. But as far as making a key to run it, the locksmith / dealer equipment is necessary to do that.