Thread: New-ish owner in Ohio

New-ish owner in Ohio

Hey everybody,

I bought a 2011 Crossover (CVT) not too long ago and have so far really loved it. When I was looking to buy a new car, I really wanted a Japanese, manual transmission hatchback. I test drove all the ones I could find around me. Hated the Mazda 3, don't like the way the Versa or the Yaris look, and the Honda Fit was great but felt cheap and sorta like a death trap. I found the SX4 online and immediately fell in love with how it looked. The best year and price and mileage combo I could find was unfortunately not a manual, but I didn't really even care. It felt great to drive, and it's got the bump shift which kinda satisfies my need for manual. Gets worse mileage than any of those others I looked at, but it's comfortable, it looks cool, and it feels SAFE, honestly, it feels solid. The AWD is great too.

My only complaint is that the CVT is pretty goofy on automatic, doesn't really shift intuitively and feels odd. I definitely have the loss of acceleration that most other people with the CVT talk about. But in Manual mode, I love it. It's peppy, it handles great, and the mileage is still an improvement over my last car. I'm getting about 28 highway, 25 combined.

Anyway, I was really glad to find this forum and find out there's such a robust community of SX4 owners. I'm interested to know what it was that drew you all to this admittedly pretty weird car? I was looking for something with great mileage and manual transmission, and wasn't even concerned with AWD, but for some reason I couldn't stop thinking about the SX4 after the first time I saw it. I admit 75% of the reason I bought it was aesthetics. What about everybody else?

Wife liked how it looked back in 2008 when we were looking to retire her suburban from DD duty. And knowing I'm a huge fan of my Suzukis, she figured I'd approve. It turned out to be a real Japanese built Suzuki, so yes, I approved. She's on her second one now (2011). CVTs take some getting used to. But I prefer it in the SX4 over the conventional AT that was in the 2008. Like the smoothness when in full auto.

Admittedly weird? I don't know about that...
    Last edited by Ronzuki; December 3rd, 2018 at 07:38 PM.
    2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD
    2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD
    1991 Samurai Soft-Top, 5-Speed, EFI (sold )

Quote Originally Posted by Ronzuki View Post

Admittedly weird? I don't know about that...
    Weird is the wrong word, maybe... I dunno, why do you like Suzukis so much? I guess I'm just interested in other people's interest in this car and in Suzukis in general. I've always liked Suzukis, but never owned one. I always wanted a Sidekick. A buddy of mine had one in college and I always thought it was rad, but everybody else, including him, thought it was an odd little thing. I guess for me I like the design aesthetic of Suzuki, but I have this perception that the general car buying public (in the US at least) doesn't share my tastes, or else they would have sold better than they ever did. So there's got to be something weird about it.

Simplicity, price point, economical to own and reliability. Reliability is the biggie for me...it means it's not going to the butchers constantly to have more problems injected while attempting to fix an initial problem. Extremely well engineered vehicles, requiring basic maintenance yielding many, many years (and miles) of trouble free operation. I've been buying Suzuki, all new, since 1986 when the Samurai first arrived in the U.S. After owning that first one, I was sold on the brand. 100+ thousand miles in six years on that Sami and all I ever did was routine maintenance (fluids/filters), 1 battery, 1 t-stat, 1 set rear brakes and 1 set of tires. It was carb'd and got 30mpg. We (the family) outgrew the Sami and traded it on anew 92 4-door Sidekick which got totaled @ 1997. Wife and 3 kids were in it and all walked away w/o so much as even a scratch. Small but solid vehicles. Again, basic maintenance on it...never any problems. My second 91 EFI Samurai (purchased used and in unmolested form in 2000 then modified for rock crawling), for the most part, had mostly stock OE components which I literally wheeled the snot out of it for 17 years and it never left me stranded on the road or the trail. Combination of man and machine makes that possible.

Good answer. That's good to hear. So far I've done all the maintenance myself, and it's all been very easy. Lots of room under the hood, which is great in a small car. I won't say what my last car was, but it was pure hell under the hood. Couldn't even replace the thermostat housing without injuring my hand.

I loath changing the oil filter in the SX4. A real pain in the...hand. The Kizashi's is in the same exact place (same basic engine block as the SX4) only there's more room between the filter and the rad fans. Not great, but easier.

Other than that, and the recently dealt with whine in my Kizashi's CVT, no issues with either of our current 'newer' Suzukis. It's a good thing because there is very little in the way of manufacturer support left in the states. Many owners sold off, or traded in, their Zuks shortly after ASMC pulled out of the country in 2013. Personally, I wasn't terribly concerned since the brand's Japanese designed and built vehicles have proven, to me, as being extremely reliable. Not as 'economical' to own these days as they once were, before the pull-out, and as they would be if the brand was still being sold here. Parts for the Kizashi are hard to come by (boarding on impossible), and, very expensive, Again, fortunately, well designed and well built so not a huge issue for me. I also find insurance is higher on them, especially the Kizashi, compared to similar vehicles. Insurers are quick to total them out because of the high costs of parts to repair them weighed against the dismal perceived 'value' of the vehicle. SX4s, not as big an issue since there were more of them sold over a longer period of time.