Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Compression

burning oil?
    could be you are using too thin oil.

I had oil burning (new car) using 5w30. once I switched bk yo Suzuki rrcommened 10w30. problem solved. now higher mileage. there is some oil lost but not critical.
    2007AWD auto.200k km..K/N air filter,AUXinput,Grp34size Battery
    Fixes..alternator,swybarlnk,cntrlarm,innertierod,P wiperarm,Rexhaustjnt,Raxleseals,Ujoints,idler,tens ioner pulleys.

I use oil 10w40 and when I measured engine compression I measured 160psi. If the compression is low means the car (engine) burning oil because of the problem with the rings.
    My car burning oil and I use oil 10w40, looks like I have a problem with the rings.

could be valve seals, sests, abd valve itself.
    pls update your signature with current mileage.
    Fixes..alternator,swybarlnk,cntrlarm,innertierod,P wiperarm,Rexhaustjnt,Raxleseals,Ujoints,idler,tens ioner pulleys.

Thanks for your reply.
    All that you have written has changed. My car has 85,000 miles.

About my 'signature' in this forum, I do not have the option to fix it my 'signature' probably because I'm a new user.
    Last edited by Brian84; December 5th, 2018 at 07:17 AM.

check your pcv and valve cover for leaks

I wouldn't worry much about there being *only* 160 PSI being indicated. Make sure you check all the cylinders.

The reason I say not to worry about it is because there isn't much you can do about it, shy of tearing the engine down and rebuilding it.

Some compression gauges are a piece of crap, and "low" compression is not necessarily an indicator of an engine's health. If it runs good, doesn't consume much oil, and gets decent fuel economy, then just run it.

Compression figures are also not definitively indicative of how much oil it will consume. Sometimes they go hand in hand, sometimes not. My old Geo Metro was making a pretty normal 175 PSI on all three cylinders, yet went through a quart of oil in 500 miles.

My engine spends around 1.5 - 2 liter for 3,000 miles. Engine compression 160 psi is a little bit for me because the new car has 200 psi (reading manual). I would accept up to 170 psi.
    In my case, it's time to change the engine rings.