Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Anyone try this lift kit from Russia?

Again, the same thing happens to me. I take off the shroud to be able to get to the top strut nut to see what's going on and give it a re-tighten and the noise either goes away initially or is lessened but then comes back in the next couple of days. It doesn't feel like the bolt is ever loose up there so I don't think it's slowly coming loose. I'm mainly getting noise from the right side and it sounds like it's from the top mount but it's hard to tell.
    '09 JX, Apollo filter w/factory air intake, under drive pulley, reflash, 18's

Weird....I just drove to the gym and the noise was minimal. Interesting situation for sure

Not sure if this relates to the Russian lift... but a couple guys (with the Kanook lift) had an issue with a knocking sound that would happen going over bumps. We would retighten and the sound would go away for a few days and then would return. It ended up being metal on metal clicking together. Solution posted here:

http://clubsx4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7452&page=15 ... eigth post down on the page with the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by phatcheeks View Post

I don't see any metal in the front setup that could make noise like you experienced Josh.

Quote Originally Posted by phatcheeks View Post
    Looks like there is some drilling required. Didn't realize until now. The plate that goes over the strut mount where the bolt goes through is way too small.
    Any thoughts?

Is it possible that maybe you enlarged the hole in the strut plate to much and the strut piston/rod is moving enough to make a slight noise? The spacer appears to leave a large void around the piston/rod. The oem mount does not have any void around where the piston/rod passes through it.
    2007 Suzuki SX4 hatch awd
    2011 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X
    1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R

Im not getting any metal to metal sound. Its more like the rubber spacer rubbing against metal (where the mount sits inside the strut tower). But its mostly on the right side. Left side is fine. Maybe because the extra weight of me sitting in the car helps push the left side mount in more causing it to not rub/turn as much. I noticed the rubbing was less when I had a passenger in the front seat.

Also I drilled the hole in the plate only as big as the threaded part. Its just the perfect size because the plate kinda threads into the adapter and doesn't just slide into it.

Its been so long.. I don't remember everything on my install.. but here is my thought.

I can't remember where the strut allows the pivot when you turn the steering wheel... Does it pivot at the threaded rod? Does it pivot lower?

My thinking makes me believe that over tightening might be binding the pivot function which intern tries to move the rubber... hence the metal on rubber sound. I don't know... just a guess.

The entire strut piston/rod moves inside of the strut body. With the strut plate tightened down, in theory, should no longer spin at the plate itself. The pivot or movement is where the original strut mount and bearing sits/rides on top of the upper spring perch... hence there being a bearing there.

A little off topic, but this is where I feel the RRO is failing due to the strut bearing being worn out or compromised. Some people suggested boring out the RRO spacer slightly to allow it to sit flush with the top of the strut piston/rod. However that little bit of gap is actually where the bearing is supposed to sit/ride.
    Last edited by Ricer_X_01; December 7th, 2018 at 02:18 PM.
    1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R

Ricer to the rescue. Now that you mention it... I do remember that about the RRO lift. Thanks Ricer!

Sorry to have pulled you into directions not related to the Russian lift! (I was trying to help)

It's all "lifted suspension" related so I will allow it
    1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R