Thread: Anyone have issues with their "Transfer case?""

Anyone have issues with their "Transfer case?""

The other day my car decided to take a crap on me on the highway. My mechanic had it flat bedded to his shop and after looking under the car, it looks to be thetransfer case. We also took off the rear driveshaft due to it being locked. I have a 2009 crossover 5sp with only 119K on it.

Just wanted to ask if anyone else had this issue and was it a simple fix? What else should I look for besides from the transfer case for problems?

Thanks
    FX

You are not giving enough info.

Does your mechanic check the transfer case? Can it rotstr? Can you still drive without propeller shaft?

If it is just the u joint is seized. You can change it or get a new shaft. There is thread on this subject.

Also update your lication if you could
    2007AWD auto.200k km..K/N air filter,AUXinput,Grp34size Battery
    Fixes..alternator,swybarlnk,cntrlarm,innertierod,P wiperarm,Rexhaustjnt,Raxleseals,Ujoints,idler,tens ioner pulleys.

Sorry CF7.

All of my wheels locked up so we took out the rear differential shaft that was replaced by the dealer 4 years ago. But turns out my I can still drive without the propeller shaft. Ended up just replacing the transfer case and seemed to solve the issue and drives fine now. Thanks

NOt very clear: once the rear driving shaft is removed, you still have the transfer case ...this component that is on the engine side of the driving shaft....so if this component was the culprit, it was still there and turning and if it was seized (improbable), you were still in trouble .
    I think your first description..seized CV joints on the driving shaft....was a good explanation, except if your description was not complete.
    2011 sx4 JX AWD CVT 35500km(May19) Also drives 2015 KIA Sorento AWD 2.4

Turns out white bear Suzuki in Minnesota worked on my car a while back and didn't add any fluid back in to my when they worked on my transfer case and differentials. So when I took out my plug, a bunch of metal came out. That's when I know my transfer case was shot. I just replaced the transfer case and it fixed the issue. Been driving it for the past 4000 miles.

Mine blew up yesterday. Metal came out the drain plug. Turns out a replacement is pretty expensive, no used ones to be seen (please report if know where to get one!) and new one is about 1500€ according to my dealer. I'm not so happy about that. 2007, 1.6L petrol, manual, hungarian..

Quote Originally Posted by Termis View Post
    .... Metal came out the drain plug. ...
    Following confusing details from other sx4 owner, make sure you are understood correctly: specify which drain plug: transmission, transfer case, rear differential.
    Last edited by LMP; March 13th, 2019 at 03:37 PM.
    2011 sx4 JX AWD CVT 35500km(May19) Also drives 2015 KIA Sorento AWD 2.4

Transfer case, which the thread is about. After some serious googling we found found a promising (used) replacement at 1/3 of the price of new one. Still an expensive repair as i decided to replace the worn out prop shaft at the same time..

OP has a rear diff problem. He should correct Title.
    2007AWD auto.200k km..K/N air filter,AUXinput,Grp34size Battery
    Fixes..alternator,swybarlnk,cntrlarm,innertierod,P wiperarm,Rexhaustjnt,Raxleseals,Ujoints,idler,tens ioner pulleys.

Things get to be a real problem when people drain the oil out and don't put any back in.

I should probably change my transfer case and rear diff fluids this spring.