Thread: Dropped Object in Windshield Air Vent

Dropped Object in Windshield / Dash Air Vent

Hi everyone,

I did my due diligence and tried to find some answers before posting, but unfortunately nothing came up.

I dropped a small, non-metal item by accident in the dash air vent closest to the wind shield. So far, I tried using a fishing line, a metal weight, and some double sided tape to blindly fish the object out, but had no luck. I might try again here soon, but was wondering if anyone else had the same experience and/or is knowledgeable about this part of the SX4?

For the 2009 SX4, I do know that the air vent piece is built-in to the whole plastic piece that is part of the dash (if that makes sense. I can provide some pictures later).

Are there any diagrams out there that can help me out of the A/C & Heat Blower system so I can possibly visualize where the item might have landed?

If I get desperate, the last resort would probably be attempting to remove the whole dash piece to get to the A/C vents and remove the object. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!
    2009 AWD | MT

Does your fan rattle? If not leave it. Unless it is a very important object.
    The air ducts are under the dash...big job.

Get a copy of Shop manual in this forum (free)
    2007AWD auto.200k km..K/N air filter,AUXinput,Grp34size Battery
    Fixes..alternator,swybarlnk,cntrlarm,innertierod,P wiperarm,Rexhaustjnt,Raxleseals,Ujoints,idler,tens ioner pulleys.

Hi CF7,

No fan rattle. And luckily it's not that very important of an object; it's just the tag/end of a zipper for a duffel bag. It flew on there when it got sandwiched in between my windshield/sun shade.

Thank you for the advice!
    2009 AWD | MT

Hi everyone,

Just letting you know that I was able to retrieve the item from the HVAC unit, with the extreme help of this:

Depstech Wireless Endoscope, WiFi Borescope Inspection Camera 2.0 Megapixels HD Snake Camera for Android and IOS Smartphone, iPhone, Samsung, Tablet - Black(11.5FT)

So I first attempted to go in from where it dropped, which is the left-side dash vent opening. I searched everywhere in that space but couldn't find it at all. Then I stuck the endoscope in the left-center AC duct and I was able to see it! Take a look at the first photo below:

It was on the very edge of falling further down the HVAC.

... And it did. I attempted on three different occasions to retrieve it.

By using the hook attachment and double-sided tape, slowly and patiently, I was able to get it out. The endoscope kit does come with a magnet attachment, but the tab isn't magnetic. That would've made it much easier to retrieve if it was.

Anyway, I'm super happy with this and if anyone else gets something stuck in their HVAC unit or air ducts, give this Wi-Fi Endoscope a try. It also has 5 bright LED lights so it produces a really clear picture.
    2009 AWD | MT