Thread: Rear shocks for lifted SX4s / Sedicis

Rear shocks for lifted SX4s / Sedicis

Hi guys, I hardly ever come on here these days but just wanted to share a bit: I recently had progressive springs manufactured for a 2" lift in the front and 3" in the back, but the extension of the OEM rear shocks was an issue (1" travel from standstill to full extension).

Now, before you all speak wonders of the shock relocation bracket from RRO, I definitely didn't want to go down that path (RRO's customer service has, in my experience, been seriously lacking and I personally don't believe they deserve my money and I also didn't want to move the stress point).

What I did was look for longer shocks (just talking rears here). The originals stretch to around 30" so I looked for 32's - which is not easy in a stud/eye configuration!

I came across these nitrogen shocks after practically a full day of searching online and jumped on them: https://www.amazon.com/Rubicon-Expre...dp/B00E5V2IWI/

Now they're still getting installed so I can't speak to their longevity or performance but I'm really hopeful.

So, what are they? They seem to be built as front shocks for a 1995 Wrangler with a 4-6" lift... and so far it seems they'll slot right in to our SX4s/Sedicis!

Sent from my Redmi 5 Plus using Tapatalk
    Fiat Sedici 2.0 multijet - custom bullbar, running 215/75R15 with a 2"+ lift (custom progressive springs and longer shocks)

Good find. The shock threading length may be too short for SX4. You may need extender threading adaptor.
    2007AWD auto.200k km..K/N air filter,AUXinput,Grp34size Battery
    Fixes..alternator,swybarlnk,cntrlarm,innertierod,P wiperarm,Rexhaustjnt,Raxleseals,Ujoints,idler,tens ioner pulleys.

Quote Originally Posted by CF7 View Post
    Good find. The shock threading length may be too short for SX4. You may need extender threading adaptor.
    They're in without any need for an extension. I'll let you know should there be any issues in the future but so far they feel great.

Fiat Sedici 2.0 multijet - custom bullbar, running 215/75R15 with a 2"+ lift (custom progressive springs and longer shocks)

Your comment got me thinking and as O wasn't the one installing them, I got to measuring the thread on the OEMs...

Sadly I don't have a photo of the new shocks while measuring the thread but just took a pic of the OEMs. It seems they have roughly 2cm of usable thread... It isn't exactly a lot.

Maybe you're confusing it with the issue some people have with the struts after installing suspension spacers? (No spacers here)

OEM rear shock thread:

Very nice find!
    Did those shocks firm up rear a bit? It is for a heavier vehicle, valving is different. I'd assume there is more damping compared to OE rear shocks.
    Hey Wavecult, have you fabricate that front bumper bar? What attachment points have you used to secure it to the front?
    Is it functional, i.e winching/towing or is merely decorative/auxiliary light platform?
    Last edited by midnightsx4; June 23rd, 2018 at 04:57 PM.
    How hard can it be?

Quote Originally Posted by midnightsx4 View Post
    Very nice find!
    Did those shocks firm up rear a bit? It is for a heavier vehicle, valving is different. I'd assume there is more damping compared to OE rear shocks.
    Hey Wavecult, have you fabricate that front bumper bar? What attachment points have you used to secure it to the front?
    Is it functional, i.e winching/towing or is merely decorative/auxiliary light platform?
    So this was the post you were referring to!

With regards to my lift, with my progressive springs the spring rate is already a bit stiffer.

I had to use the lifted springs with the original shocks for a couple of weeks until the Rubicon's came in and the shocks just couldn't keep up with the spring rate (and the extension needed!). These handle my springs really well.

They're progressive too, so the valving changes based on velocity. I haven't driven a bunch on them but so far I haven't found the ride to be any harsher... Just more control.

With regards to the bumper, I posted a better pic for you to check out on the other post. Never really thought about a winch (they're usually there to pull other people out and weigh a bunch)... The idea was initially to have my "daytime running lights" (ehehehe no, seriously, they're hooked up as such) and then to have some further impact protection but don't use it for towing at the moment. I'm still trying to figure it out. I'd like to build in a tow point but it really should attach directly to the chassis.

Please post pics with the lift
    2010 sx4 JX AWD

Quote Originally Posted by vhercules View Post
    Please post pics with the lift
    I'm waiting for the chance to take some half-decent pictures... It will probably be a couple of weeks though (so I can get the rear bar finished too)