Thread: Sx4 revived

Sx4 revived

So I picked up a 2008 SX4 Sport Sedan with 123k miles for my teenage driver. Previous owner used it for commuting, didn't do much to it and it, and had been sitting unused for the past year so it was in need of some love. Very dirty condition with stains and LOTS of dirt in the seats and carpets. Engine bay looks to have never been cleaned (mainly dirt and grime but with only some minor oil seepage around valve cover gasket) and wheels had quite a bit of brake dust build up.

So a couple of days, lots of elbow grease, cleaners, and a power spraying later.........

I also used some rubbing compound along with a circular foam pad and drill to clean up the cloudy headlights:

It definitely looks and SMELLS a lot better now.
    Doug
    2008 SX4 Sedan Sport
    2013 C-Max Energi, 2015 Subaru OutBack, 2006 Prius

Nice job getting it cleaned up!

Impressive transformation! Glad to see the car is in good hands.
    2009 AWD | MT

Quote Originally Posted by fotomoto View Post
    It definitely looks and SMELLS a lot better now.
    Looks great! Keep up the updates!
    #1 2011 SX4 Crossover MT (Tech pkg), Sunlight Copper, RRO lift/shock relo, K&N, 215R70-16
    #2 2011 SX4 Crossover MT (Tech pkg), Sunlight Copper, K&N, Suzuki custom wheels

That does look good!!! Sad that people let their rides get to that state gives you an idea how their house might look inside.

My two summer rides I try to keep it looking pristine (I'm not that anal though) and my SX4 isn't super clean all the time but it doesn't ever look like the original photos in the first post.

If the OE poster was closer in location I would pay to have my SX4 looking like that. GOOD JOB!!!!!

Tony
    Last edited by Cman; June 21st, 2018 at 03:10 AM.
    T. Chan
    10 SX4 6sp AWD, 17 CX-3 AWD
    09 Z06, 13 Shelby GT500

Makes me wish my engine bay wasn't covered in rust proof gunk
    Last edited by OliverB; June 21st, 2018 at 02:37 PM.
    SX4 2007 AWD Manual
    Kizashi 2011 AWD CVT

Thanks everyone, it was a tough job for sure; took two solid days. I forgot to mention the cabin air filter looked like it had never been changed and had (seriously) about 3 inches (70cm) of debris sitting on top (luckily no evidence of being any sort of a nest). There was no way to remove it without some debris falling into the fan cage, which it did, so I had to vacuum out the fan box as best as possible. The good news is the a/c is working MUCH better now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by poston View Post
    Looks great! Keep up the updates!
    I didn't mention it but I also did an oil change and a minor tuneup consisting of new plugs and air filter and a MAF cleaning. Purrs like a kitten.

Next on the agenda was a trans flush. After putting more miles behind the wheel, I started to notice little things like that the shifts weren't all that smooth; especially top gear and judging by the condition of other things with the car like the previously mentioned filters, I suspected the fluid was original. I saw a thread about using a flush product from BG that sounded promising but I couldn't find it locally. Seafoam has a tremendous reputation in the motorcycle world as a carb/FI/intake cleaner and gas conditioner that I've used with much success over decades with my bikes and cars so I looked to see if they offered anything for transmissions. Well, they do:

$9 at Walmart or $11 at a local auto parts store. Directions are to add it to the old and drive for 30-100 miles and flush. I drove around 50 miles on urban roads for lots of shifting and by 10 miles the gear changes were already transformed!!! I couldn't wait to do the flush the next day.

I got 5 gallons (19L) of Walmarts finest (/sarc) dexron III fluid and began the flush. I followed the method posted in the video "how-to's" forum by first draining the transaxle. Boy was it ever nasty looking and smelled even worse!

I used needle nose vice grips on the tubing/pipe connection to reduce leakage at the cooler extraction point. BIG difference in color. I probably could have gotten by with a 4 gallon flush as it was getting pretty clean, pretty quickly by then when this pic was taken.

This was actually a fairly easy DIY project. The only PITA was the simple removal of the passenger side lower splash guard because the screws and bolts, being in a harsh environment, were corroded and dirty; otherwise, it just as easy as an oil change. I didn't have a 24mm tool for the large transaxle drain bolt but a 15/16 inch wrench was close enough. Total cost for 5 gallons of fluid plus 2 cans of seafoam treatment was approx. $80 USD. TIP: You'll also want some brake cleaner or equivalent for cleanup. Checking the fluid while hot and the engine running isn't fun and I suggest using work gloves because the very hot radiator pipe is close enough to the dipstick for almost guaranteed contact with skin.

I added the second can of SeaFoam to the new fluid as it's also marketed as an additive. Shifting has dramatically improved. Dramatically is probably the wrong word since the first 3 gear shifts are nearly unnoticeable now and 4th, which was the worst, has greatly improved to the point that I now can classify it as "normal".

FUN FACT: The owners manual doesn't use the word "transmission" and only refers to the unit as a transaxle. I discovered this trying to word search "transmission" in the PDF version.
    Last edited by fotomoto; June 24th, 2018 at 10:33 AM.
    Doug
    2008 SX4 Sedan Sport
    2013 C-Max Energi, 2015 Subaru OutBack, 2006 Prius