Thread: Converting your trunk

Converting your trunk

A few months ago, I managed to purchase the folding trunk floor that didn't quite fit my 2007, at least, not in the intended way. After finding a hood deflector today, I decided to try swapping the panels of the trunk between a 2007 and a 2011 aaaaaannnnnddd *drum roll* it worked out pretty easily. There are 4 things that differentiate the two versions:

1. Numbers of panels
    2. The rear airbags
    3. Fold flat is a pain

First off, the 2007 has a single panel that covers the trunk and the side of the rear seats. It is also very easy to remove it as it only being held in place by 5-6 plastic screws AND the fact that the rear seats can be tumbled forward. The 2010+ trunk panels, by design and features, are not as cooperative. Unlike the 2007+, there are two panels on each side. The one for the actual trunk is just as easy to remove as on a 2007, but the panel on the side of the rear seat/door requires a bit more work because the airbag module is being held in place by two 7/16" (iirc) metal bolts. The airbag module can easily be removed from its plastic housing by prying it out of there with a flathead screwdriver. The airbag wiring is limited to a single plug so that is also easily being taken care of. Next, there are two bolts going inward, into the seats. The purpose of those two bolts is for the seats to fold down and stay down, unlike the 2007+ that can be tumbled forward. The size of the nuts is also 7/16" iirc and you really have to jam your ratchet into the seat to be able to get them out of there. Now you can remove the top of the seats by wiggling them gently (or not)

Here are various pictures. I'll make sure to get better ones the next time.

SX4 2007 AWD Manual

Wow, this is a great upgrade. I think this would allow you to fit a full size spare in there.

Quote Originally Posted by josh_sx4 View Post
    Wow, this is a great upgrade. I think this would allow you to fit a full size spare in there.
    I honestly didn't think it would work out, but I'm really happy it did. I like to be able to carry a bunch of bulky items and being able to stash em under the floor while keeping the rest of the trunk free is exactly what I needed. I also do quite a lot of commuting during night time on weekends so being able to get some sleep on an even surface is now a possibility if I don't feel capable of driving due to fatigue.

I've noticed that the seats cannot be flipped up/down without interfering with the folding floor. I wouldn't know if it also has to be removed when using the stock seats on the 2010+, but it's really not a big deal to me. My 2007 is also missing two pieces of metal on each side of the trunk, to help support the weight on the folding floor, but I don't think it is a major issue.

How's your tire carrier holding up? I'm just waiting to find a wrecked Grand Vitara with a tire carrier to put on my sx4.
    SX4 2007 AWD Manual

Looks great and functional. Where did you buy your folding trunk floor?

Managed to find one at the salvage yard. These things are awfully rare...
    SX4 2007 AWD Manual

The folding seats were redone for the 2010+. You can fold them up and down without interfering with the folding trunk floor.
    2013 SX4 Crossover w/ Tech, CVT, Pearl White