Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Poor gas mileage

Pleade fill in your signature .

Current mileage of car.
    Model
    Auto or stick

New SX4 has less mileage than the older one as 3verything is tight.

Ours got around 9.5L if drive at 110kp..even more mileage if it is around 100kmh in summer tire. Winter is less.

Gas mileage is relative to habit, braking etc. Tire winter or Summer. And outside temp. We got even less when we were driving at -26 C after Xmas and New Year.

Another check/clean the PCV and clean MAP sensor. Clean TB etc.

Do a search in this forum. A bit reading will help.
    2007AWD auto.200k km..K/N air filter,AUXinput,Grp34size Battery
    Fixes..alternator,swybarlnk,cntrlarm,innertierod,P wiperarm,Rexhaustjnt,Raxleseals,Ujoints,idler,tens ioner pulleys.

I also get about 19mpg from my 2010 with mostly around town driving with a couple of hours of highway per tank.
    Long trips get me mid 20's running with traffic, not the speed limit.
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde

-};>~

Quote Originally Posted by CF7 View Post
    Pleade fill in your signature .
    Current mileage of car.
    Model
    Auto or stick....
    ..and location (yeah, Toronto, but make it part of profile or signature) ,AWD or not, sedan or hatchback.

FUel burn is so condition dependant as told above that comparisons are hard to make, well, practically irrelevant. Just winter....as ambient air can go from +30C in summer to -30C in winter, air density increases (according to the law of gases) about 22%...that is moving through the air is 22% harder. Add snow tires..and snow....and your engine taking more time to get up to temp.....then do not use winter to compare your car.
    Last edited by LMP; February 28th, 2018 at 06:36 AM.
    2011 sx4 JX AWD CVT 32000km Also drives 2015 KIA Sorento AWD 2.4

Yes, snow tires.

I have yet to burn through a tank of gas since either the spark plug change or the sea foam.

Digital reading shows 11.8L/100km.. Will compare to actual mileage and gas usage when I next fill up.
    Suzuki SX4 | 2008 | hatch | auto | AWD | 135,000km
    Subaru Forester | 2014 | auto | AWD | 70,000km

If plugs and air filter are good - make sure your cat not clogged and change PCV valve.
    2009 SX4 AWD 5 Spd Manual Touring Package Sunlit Copper

Quote Originally Posted by mikefly View Post
    Yes, snow tires.,,,Digital reading shows 11.8L/100km.. Will compare to actual mileage and gas usage when I next fill up.
    I consider it good for winter conditions, even if computer reading , in my case, is always about 0.3 l/100km optimistic. Even at 12.1 (in and near city ), that is OK for me. Winter temperature makes heating up the engine longer, which retards the computer from switching from default mode to closed loop mode (occurs around 140F) . This has the more bad impact when running only or mostly short trips.
    2011 sx4 JX AWD CVT 32000km Also drives 2015 KIA Sorento AWD 2.4

Update after 3 tanks of gas:

~12L/100km
    This is about 2/3 on the Gardiner with an average speed of ~35km/h. Slow going, but not stop-and-go traffic.

Leaving red lights, I am more aggressive than most. In fact in city traffic I am more aggressive than most. I know that doesn't help. Worth noting that I am not aggressive on the brake pedal, and generally get better gas mileage than my wife who is a more cautious driver.

What I've noticed is that almost any acceleration in first gear tends to show an instant readout of 30L/100km. Accelerating in other gears is ~12-18L/100km. Cruising has low gas mileage, and coasting almost none.

My warning light comes on after ~31L of fuel. This last fill-up I was bold and went until 33L. Do most folks drive it to the 0km remaining or beyond? Other posts suggest this is unwise, but I'd love to be more confident in how far I can push this.

--

Tony suggested swapping out diff and transmission fluid which I have not yet done.

2010 sx4 awd, CVT, 79k kms ... 1 inch lift with 215/65/16 AT tires.
    This winter I have hit 12l/100kms on a few fill ups with mostly city driving ... idling at school drop off zones dropping kids off, etc.
    with a mix of highway / city it gets better and have got around 10.5 l/ 100kms. The avg seems to be around 11.5l/100kms this winter.
    Due for a air filter change. Last summer I was averaging around 9.25l/100km
    2010 sx4 JX AWD

The 07 car I used to have could go about another 70kms or so before the car would die (I carried a gas can in the car and kept driving it even with the gas light on and would finally die after travelling the 70 kms by keeping the car moving around 70-85km/h).

So 3 tanks and still only 12L/100kms??? Did you reset your average fuel economy before doing your 3 tanks of gas?

So you burned 31L of gas before your gas light came on??? 4WD SX4's have a 45L tank you would still have 14 L of gas or so in the tank I don't think your light should come on that early.

To get 12L/100kms and burning 31L of gas means you only travelled about 260kms before filling up (that works out to just under 24mpg).

Do you have the correct size tires on the car (205/60/16)? If they are not the correct size your odometer miles/kms will be off when you use that # to calculate your fuel economy.

You should still change out your trans, diff and transfer case fluids. It will help with fuel economy but don't expect to go from 12L/100kms to 8-9L per after doing that.

Reset your average and instant fuel readings on the computer read out and go for a trip somewhere doing hwy driving (110-115km/h, use the cruise as much as possible) and check your mileage again and see what it is after.

Tony
    T. Chan
    10 SX4 6sp AWD, 17 CX-3 AWD
    09 Z06, 13 Shelby GT500

Replies in red.

Quote Originally Posted by Cman View Post
    So 3 tanks and still only 12L/100kms??? Did you reset your average fuel economy before doing your 3 tanks of gas?
    After the first one.

So you burned 31L of gas before your gas light came on??? 4WD SX4's have a 45L tank you would still have 14 L of gas or so in the tank I don't think your light should come on that early.
    Yes! First two fill ups for 31L. 3rd fill up I waited until it hit the E line. 33.33L

To get 12L/100kms and burning 31L of gas means you only travelled about 260kms before filling up (that works out to just under 24mpg).
    Exactly.

Do you have the correct size tires on the car (205/60/16)? If they are not the correct size your odometer miles/kms will be off when you use that # to calculate your fuel economy.
    205 60R16. check.

You should still change out your trans, diff and transfer case fluids. It will help with fuel economy but don't expect to go from 12L/100kms to 8-9L per after doing that.
    Will aim to do this at three month mark with oil change. Costs all add up. Buying new tires at the top of April too.

Reset your average and instant fuel readings on the computer read out and go for a trip somewhere doing hwy driving (110-115km/h, use the cruise as much as possible) and check your mileage again and see what it is after.
    Will have time to do this by summer! Two small kids and not enough minutes in the day. I believe that I'll get decent gas mileage on the highway.
    Edit: maybe a trip to Hamilton in the works. Assuming it’s not bumper to
    Bumper can actually try the experiment.
    Last edited by mikefly; March 17th, 2018 at 06:18 AM.