Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on 2008 SX4 purchase

Advice on 2008 SX4 purchase

Hi,

I'm going to test drive a 2008 SX4 tomorrow. It's an AWD hatch with 135,000km. From the photos, it looks like the body is in great shape. Here's the dashboard.

Primary use will be for a 20 mile / 30km round trip commute to work. Probably won't get a lot of other use - aside from the odd canoe trip in the summer.

I've looked around the interwebs for advice on things to watch out for, but thought I'd come straight to the experts.

What should I look out for? And what should I run from? From what the dealer tells me, it's in good working order, although the all weather tires are shot. (Also comes with winter tires)

Thanks for any guidance!

Make sure the driveshaft is still there, otherwise you won't have AWD capabilities. If it's still there, lock the car in AWD and make the tires spin. If you hear/feel vibration, the wheel bearings are most likely shot (VERY inexpensive to fix on your own). I've driven this car for 23,000 kilometers since I purchased this car in June, now sitting at 177,000KMs, and aside from fixing things the previous owner neglected, I haven't had a single problem with the car.

http://clubsx4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6327
    SX4 2007 AWD Manual

mikefly in Canada.....where ? If you do not feel confortable with your own perception, maybe some other SX4 owner in your locality would gently offer to drive it with you and compare it to his own experience..
    From what I read on this forum, (not from wife's car...mileage too low) bearings and rear driving shaft can be an issue, but the km is not very high for a 2008... ....and it depends what price the car is....
    I would not buy a car if hub spacers or higher offset wheels were installed...if only OEM wheels or equivalent are on the car, I would not be too frightened about bearings.
    Last edited by LMP; February 11th, 2018 at 06:19 PM.
    2011 sx4 JX AWD CVT 32000km Also drives 2015 KIA Sorento AWD 2.4

Inside looks well maintained.
    Check for rust underneath -- that can be a killer on an older car.
    2008 sx4 awd auto hatch touring

Thanks for all the replies. How/where do I check for the drive shaft?
    Car has OEM wheels and extra winter wheels/tires, so hopefully safe on that account.
    Car is a good price IMO. Depends on what if anything is needed for the safety.

I called my local mechanic who told me that spare parts (in Toronto) are hard to come by for the SX4. Is that the case?

MT

I am in the Toronto area and so far have required only brakes ! Oil and filter is the only thing regularly needed for maintenance. Stuff like wheel bearings can be got from various online auto part places.
    2010 sx4 JX AWD

Quote Originally Posted by mikefly View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. How/where do I check for the drive shaft?
    Car has OEM wheels and extra winter wheels/tires, so hopefully safe on that account.
    Car is a good price IMO. Depends on what if anything is needed for the safety.

I called my local mechanic who told me that spare parts (in Toronto) are hard to come by for the SX4. Is that the case?

MT
    Driveshaft: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDqIdgVcjx4

There are plenty of affordable spare parts from rockauto.com. Not to mention that there's plenty of SX4s still on the road or at scrapyards on the east coast of Canada. The garage that did the inspection on my car tried to pull the same move on me when they tried to charge me 450$ for each rear hub assembly + labour. Here's what wheel bearings actually cost: https://www.primechoice.ca/Auto/Whee...ngs/HB612395PR
    SX4 2007 AWD Manual

Bought it! Need a set of all seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by mikefly View Post
    Bought it! Need a set of all seasons.
    Congratulations, post some pics ! these are fun little cars and awesome in snow ... I had a blast during the snow we got over the weekend
    2010 sx4 JX AWD

Congrats! Looks like a good find with low kms for the year. You should get a lot of reliable usage out of it. As a precaution, you may want to change the fluids if you don't have the maintenance history.