Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Advice on 2008 SX4 purchase

Quote Originally Posted by Rahul4640 View Post
    Gentlemen,
    I own one SX4 sedan (India made) which is almost six years old, purchased second hand. I have already changed the engine oil, transmission oil, break/clutch oil, coolant, etc. The break system has also been overhauled thoroughly. This car has run 42000 KMs (around 26000 Miles). Shall I now also change the timing belt and the water pump?
    Regards,
    Rahul
    I am not familiar with the engines in the India spec SX4s, but usually timing belts last well beyond that. And are you sure it has a timing belt at all?

Quote Originally Posted by mikefly View Post
    Thanks. I found that bizarre sequence by searching, but I believe it deals with the fob not the transponder.

I (maybe?) finally found someone in Toronto who will order the key and cut it for me for $120. Another guy who will cut and program a key I order for $50. I’m tempted to pay the premium in order to get it done more quickly.

Should I be concerned about the emissions light or is it quite common and not to worry about? I will order a wifi obd2 reader, but it will take a couple weeks to get here.
    I went through the key-making deal a few months ago. If the vehicle has an immobilizer, you'll need a Suzuki dealer or locksmith to get things straightened out. When you turn the key to the RUN position, there should be a security light near the fuel gauge if it has one. Since Canada likes rules and regulations like California, the immobilizers are mandatory and you'll have to spend extra $$$$ to get a key made. Extra $$$$ for the key and then extra $$$$ to pay someone to do it.

Or just dig the transceiver antenna out of the ignition lock and permanently affix a working key inside the antenna ring and stuff it up behind the dash. It works on various other vehicles.

Otherwise, if there is no immobilizer, all you need is a properly cut key to program keyless start remotes, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomrt View Post
    I went through the key-making deal a few months ago. If the vehicle has an immobilizer, you'll need a Suzuki dealer or locksmith to get things straightened out. When you turn the key to the RUN position, there should be a security light near the fuel gauge if it has one. Since Canada likes rules and regulations like California, the immobilizers are mandatory and you'll have to spend extra $$$$ to get a key made. Extra $$$$ for the key and then extra $$$$ to pay someone to do it.

Or just dig the transceiver antenna out of the ignition lock and permanently affix a working key inside the antenna ring and stuff it up behind the dash. It works on various other vehicles.

Otherwise, if there is no immobilizer, all you need is a properly cut key to program keyless start remotes, etc.
    Interesting to know there’s a workaround. Suspect it’s way out of my comfort range! After MANY calls I found someone to cut and program the chip key for $90 in Etobicoke.
    Suzuki SX4 | 2008 | hatch | auto | AWD | 135,000km
    Subaru Forester | 2014 | auto | AWD | 70,000km

My 2008 US-spec SX4 does not have a chipped key. I got some key blanks from the Internet (can't remember where) and had the blanks cut at a Home Depot. They work perfectly.

My SX4 has about 77,000 miles (125k kms or so) and it runs perfectly. There is no rust underneath or on the body, and it is tight and nimble. I wish there was a bit more low-end grunt, but I like everything else about it. The clutch, handling, steering and brakes still feel great, and the car is an amazing cargo hauler once you flip the seats all the way forward. The only thing I have replaced over the years (other than routine maintenance) is spark plugs, the front brake pads and a blown out windshield washer hose. That's it -- the least maintenance ever for a car of mine. (I got the SX4 after I sold an older Audi 5000 Quattro that needed constant expensive maintenance.) I would definitely buy a good used SX4.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by phantomrt View Post
    I am not familiar with the engines in the India spec SX4s, but usually timing belts last well beyond that. And are you sure it has a timing belt at all?
    Am not sure. I shall ask the service centre when the next engine oil change is due. Thanks.