Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice on 2008 SX4 purchase

I got my car with 235000km on it.
    Replaced one rear wheel hub at 250000. You will hear a bad wheel bearing. It will change pitch when you turn l or r.
    Its easy to replace. About $65 canadian. Took about 1.5 hr. I am mechanicaly inclined and have all the tools required.
    Great car! Id get it again. Wish it was turbo.
    I do tow my 1500lb sailboat with it. Tows fine and gets 23m/g doing it.
    Marty

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Photo

Seems to drive fine. I filled up for the first time and did not turn the gas tank until it clicked - hope this is why emissions light turned on and the awd ‘lock’ won’t turn on! Looking after the kids so can’t experiment right now.

Also I need to get a duplicate key made. Any suggestions where to get this in Toronto? Lots of cheap options on eBay - will those work? I don’t have the key number unfortunately.
    EDIT: It's a bit unclear if it's a chipped key or not. I'm going to risk the $6 and get a regular copy made.
    Last edited by mikefly; February 17th, 2018 at 12:39 PM. Reason: edit

You need to hold down the switch into the lock position for 5 seconds. I remember getting a CEL code related to the evap system the next day after I drove with the cap still attached to the little door. An OBD2 scanner will quickly tell you what the problem is.
    SX4 2007 AWD Manual

Quote Originally Posted by OliverB View Post
    You need to hold down the switch into the lock position for 5 seconds. I remember getting a CEL code related to the evap system the next day after I drove with the cap still attached to the little door. An OBD2 scanner will quickly tell you what the problem is.
    Lock switch wa totally user error. For the cap - I didn’t leave it off, I just didn’t tighten it until it clicked. Will see today if it has resolved. I don’t have a scanner, but will buy a BAFX scanner soon. For $30 seems worthwhile to have on hand.

Does a duplicate key need a chip? Locksmith I called looked it up and said no, but when I brought it to be cut, the reader got a transponder code - so he said yes it does.. but did not have the key.

EDIT3 Many calls later. Seems like it does need a chip and no one locally sells it.
    Last edited by mikefly; February 18th, 2018 at 12:06 PM.

This might help

Quote Originally Posted by Schultzey View Post
    Yes you can have a locksmith cut a new key for you. There are several different types of key fobs depending on the market your SX4 is in. If you have the Calsonic Kansei Corp. remote with the FCC ID of KBRTS005 and the Model Number of TS005just follow these instructions to program:

1. Remove key from ignition switch.
    2. Close all doors.
    3. Open drivers door
    4. Insert key and turn to ON position and within 10 seconds turn
    key off and remove key.
    5. Within 20 seconds Close and open drivers door 3 times.
    6. Insert key and turn to ON position and within 10 seconds turn
    key off and remove key.
    7. Locks should now lock and unlock automatically to confirm you
    have entered programming mode.
    8. Press the UNLOCK button on remote and locks should cycle to
    confirm programming.
    9. Repeat step 8 on each additional remote.
    10. Exit vehicle with keys and remote, close door test remote(s).

I don't know of a flip key that is plug and play for this style of remote. I customized a flip key to work with my remote and key for a 2007-2009 North America SX4 with a manual transmission and without an immobilizer. The key was cut by a locksmith.

This is the flip key casing I purchased off of eBay.

I cut up a Calsonic Kansei Corp. remote and the back of the flip key casing to allow the compatible remote to fit in the flip key casing.

Epoxy was used to fuse together the two pieces. It was sanded and painted.

Finished product
    SX4 2007 AWD Manual

Thanks. I found that bizarre sequence by searching, but I believe it deals with the fob not the transponder.

I (maybe?) finally found someone in Toronto who will order the key and cut it for me for $120. Another guy who will cut and program a key I order for $50. I’m tempted to pay the premium in order to get it done more quickly.

Should I be concerned about the emissions light or is it quite common and not to worry about? I will order a wifi obd2 reader, but it will take a couple weeks to get here.

From what I've read on here, the most common (actual) issue is one of the O2 sensor. But nowadays cars will use the check engine light for almost anything and everything. I think Canadian Tire has scanners for 20$ if you don't want to wait.
    SX4 2007 AWD Manual