Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: driving awd as a fwd only - no prop shaft - can you do that

driving awd as a fwd only - no prop shaft - can you do that

if your differential is having issues can the prop shaft be removed and the sx4 driving as only fwd with out further
    damage. Also what would be recommended approach?

I.E. Will removing it still allow the rear end and the rear axles to still be lubricated.
    Last edited by habber; January 10th, 2018 at 07:41 PM.

Yes remove the driveshaft and drive it like a FWD car.

Yep no problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The only bad question is the one never asked !
    http://golfcoursemechanics.blogspot.ca/

Thanks to those who have replied to the no prop shaft thread.

My mechanic is saying the broken ring gear in the differential will still turn with the rotation of the rear wheels.

With this bad gear it will eventually lockup.

IS my mechanic incorrect?

Thankyou -

Quote Originally Posted by habber View Post
    ..the broken ring gear in the differential will still turn with the rotation of the rear wheels.... -
    ABsolutely true. ...but what kind of problem do you have with that differntial ? NOise ? What is the sign that let you conclude the ring gear is broken ? Did the differential hit a rock while driving offroad ?
    2011 sx4 JX AWD CVT 32000km Also drives 2015 KIA Sorento AWD 2.4

With no driveshaft (prop shaft) turning the pinion in the rear differential, the spider gears would be the ones that are turning with wheel rotation. The ring gear could still turn but that would be more like a centrifugal force kinda thing.

However, spider gears are only there for differential action during turns, they usually don't turn (or turn very little) when driving in a straight line, with no torque driving the pinon and ring gear the spider gears will turn a lot inside the diff housing when the car is moving heating them up to the point that they can get damaged.

You need to check and see exactly what is damaged and decide accordingly what you want to do.

Tony

edit: read this thread it has really good info:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...ide-gears.html
    Last edited by Cman; January 13th, 2018 at 04:53 AM.

in normal conditions, the diff (spider gears inside) will function just fine. their purpose is to provide a link to both rear wheels but at the same time, break the link from one wheel to the other so they can have different speeds (in turn). when both wheels turn at the same speed (because obviously the car will be dragging them) they won't move.

if you truly have a broken ring gear (how the f*** did that happen?) then removing the prop shaft won't help. you need to remove the whole rear diff unit as well. then you'll have hanging axle shafts, sou you'll need to remove those as well. but then your wheel bearings need the axle in place..... one way of bypassing the issue is to have the external part of the CV joint installed in the wheel hub. the other one would be to use FWD hubs.

In fact you can leave the diff in place, just remove the axle shafts (and take care of those wheel hubs one way or another). Just don't drive it without anything holding the rear wheel bearings together...
    former Suzuki Gold Master Tech

spider gears attached to wheel shafts are each turning at same speed and direction as wheels..hence are NOT turning relative to each other, so ring and pinion gears are turning at same speed as if they were driven by the engine.
    Again, we do not really understand how you can have a broken ring gear.....describe the symptoms....
    NOtice that this differential unit is known for failed side bearings....
    2011 sx4 JX AWD CVT 32000km Also drives 2015 KIA Sorento AWD 2.4

I drive mine without a driveshaft till I got the universal joints for it . As long as the rear end is ok it would make no difference .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The only bad question is the one never asked !
    http://golfcoursemechanics.blogspot.ca/

thankyou for response - It has a mechanical sound when driving approxiately every 8 feet. like metal to metal. I had read somewhere where if you get that sound every 8 feet it is the ring gear. If you get it every 3 feet it is a planetary gear.

The suzuki was started at 18 below zero actual temperature. Where upon a bunch of noise occured.

My mechanic believes it is the differential. It was also low on fluid and had some shavings.

the mechanic said the differential still turns even with out the driveshaft and the ring gear (bad tooth) will still engage?

If it is driven - by the rotation of the rear wheels alone.

That is what my question is. Is that true? Thankyou again.