Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: New Lift Idea?

Hi, reading with interest, I think the New Zealand Ground Clearance is 175 cm (same as the states?)and the European Ground clearance is 195 cm with the longer springs and struts, has anyone yet done the conversion? thanks Howie.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricer_X_01 View Post
    The part about the Universal Car Lifts website that intrigued me was this part, "CNC cut sections for precise fitment and alignment". I have found a few examples of this style lift on Google images and looks to work well... just wish this company could provide some pictures of their work.

This project is far from being on the 'fast track' but I'm moving forward. Because I don't want to take my car out of commission for any length of time, and I tend to procrastinate anyway, I decided to build this on the bench first. Since front end parts are relatively cheap, I ordered up a pair of used spindles and a new set of struts. Total for parts was $250-ish. (In thinking about it, I'm sure I could have gotten by with just a single side of strut/spindle... oh well.)

Anyway, once those parts arrive, I'll source the raw materials to build the lift. When I drill the holes, I do think I'll try and compensate for camber. An alignment will show how close that is and if it isn't within spec, I'm hoping I can guess at a new measurement and forgo paying for a second alignment.

(I already own a used 2" RRO lift which will provide the rear lift and I just ordered a set of lengthened rear shocks too.)

In other news, I installed a set of 215-65R/16 General Grabber AT 2s on the stock wheels and added 20mm spacers front and rear. I first installed the tires and all was fine. With the spacers, not so much... Looks much better, although the rear could use a wider spacer still. Problem is when the suspension bottoms, the outer edge of the tires are hitting the inside of the fender lip. No damage so far, but the noise isn't pleasant. Right after installing all this I did a 3,000+ mile roadtrip from WA to MI and back. I've made a couple of trips up to the mountains on gravel/dirt roads and even a bit of snow and I like these tires!
    Last edited by mdmead; July 11th, 2019 at 11:20 AM.
    Matt in Selah (near Yakima) WA
    '09 AWD SX4, '16 6.7L Power Stroke Super Duty Crew Cab 4x4 - 860 lb ft torque!, '74 Ford Bronco

Eager to see and hear how this goes. Please keep us updated and maybe even start a new thread to document your progress.

Lifting it certainly will help with the rubbing. My brother's sx4 still sits at stock height, but he's running 225-70-15 Grabber AT2's. He was running spacers at one point (I believe 20mm in the rear) and he too was experiencing the rubbing just like you and had a bad one that popped the fender trim off. Luckily it didn't break, but he did remove the spacers.
    2007 Suzuki SX4 hatch awd
    2011 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X
    1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R

Quote Originally Posted by Ricer_X_01 View Post
    Eager to see and hear how this goes. Please keep us updated and maybe even start a new thread to document your progress.
    When I get started I'll be posting it to my 'build' thread (that hasn't seen any action in a few years). I need to find another picture hosting solution after the Photobucket fiasco.
    '09 AWD SX4, '16 6.7L Power Stroke Super Duty Crew Cab 4x4 - 860 lb ft torque!, '74 Ford Bronco

I've used Imgur for a few things without making an account and then just bookmarking the page if I ever need to reference it again. I still haven't committed to making a new account yet. Photobucket screwed me bad. Nearly 1200 pictures and over 15 years of usage and now restricted...
    2007 Suzuki SX4 hatch awd
    2011 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X
    1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I did set up an account with Imgur, but am afraid to commit. At one time you could host from Facebook, but although I find instructions online, I don't see the same options when I'm doing it on Facebook. I also have a blog account (Wordpress) I have never used and wondered if I could host them from there. Photobucket really soured me on trying to post pics to the forums I participate in.