Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2009 sx4

replaced a rechargeable battery. Battery powers the GPS out of cradle - but the touch screen (digitizer) is still not working.
    Placed an order for new LCD Screen Display + touch screen / digitizer off e-bay

2017-10-16_08-01-46

placed an order for a charging cable for the GPS when is out of the cradle.
    New digitizer installed! Will charge new battery in the car cradle tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogsnight View Post
    Supposed to get the battery today....
    In the meantime: have horrible brake dust problem. PO let the front rims go, and the dealer couldn't clean them.
    My question is:
    1. what wheel cleaner is good for RX4 rims...??
    2. are there any brake pads that don't make such a dusty mess?

2017-10-16_01-40-12
    Typically, the more expensive brake pads, both semi-metallic, and ceramic, produce less dust. Ceramic typically creates less dust than their semi-metallic counterparts. One must also make sure that the brake pads slide freely within their slots in the caliper bracket. Often times, a person needs to grind them smaller so they fit properly. When they fit tight in those slots, they will tend to drag against the rotor unnecessarily. This reduces the life of the brake pad, and simply creates more dust. Old calipers also can be a culprit and cause the pads to drag. As the caliper piston seal gets old, it no longer creates a tight fit in the bore. It is this tight fit that causes the seal to drag along the bore, and flex when the brake is applied rather than slide. When you release the brake, the elastic action of the piston seal allows the Piston to release when you let off of the brakes.

Suzuki Garmin

.................went for a drive to charge the unit and see how it is going to work - well, works as it was designed to. I will be using it because it is a part of the system and for total of $27.40 in parts and a few hours of work it was well worth the effort.
    Not sure if it is any better than Google Maps on my cell, in fact probably is not..........this deal about buying a current maps from Garmin is questionable to me, and makes me wander if the directions are good - we shall see how it will be reacting to current traffic situations.
    Last edited by 2dogsnight; November 8th, 2017 at 09:37 AM.

thank you phantomrt,
    ......................This will be my next project - get better pads and check the brake cylinders for leaks - as pretty much every time car sits for a day with the emergency brake on - it gives a squeaky brake noise when the brake lever is released.
    When I got the car, the dealer had to add brake fluid - as it was low - to the point that there was an indicator light coming on when the car was going up hill..............

It is not unusual for someone to do a brake job and a quick bleeding of the brakes afterwards. In a perfect world, a person should *never* have to add or remove brake fluid from a vehicle, but the world is not perfect and brake fluid does get old over time. If someone did some caliper work or bleeding and didn't replace the old fluid with *quite* enough new fluid, such a brake warning indicator can come on when the vehicle isn't level when the pads are wore down.

This definitely is not a single occurrence that I have seen, but I drove my SX4 for a week and the back brakes started grinding. I tore it apart, and found the typical brake pad shoehorned into the caliper bracket so it couldn't move. The brakes are powerful enough to force the pads to move and stop the vehicle, but the pads are going to get pushed up against the rotor and stay there when they're jammed in there and I'm very confident that this is what caused the brakes to wear down quickly. It took quite a bit of hammering to get those old pads out of there. And yes, there was brake dust on the back wheels after 1 week of driving.

I love the internet. As long as you can exercise patience, you can get stuff like brake pads for almost half price. They should arrive tomorrow. $13 for a belt, $22 for pads and they share the cab fare with some other misc parts that I needed.

Which Garmin model is that? I want to get one for my 2009.

I have yet to come across any computer generated directions that were reliable. The last Garmin I used told me to do a U-turn on I-94 in Bismark, ND. I just want maps and I'll figure out the rest on my own.

It's Nuvi 760
    .................here is one on ebay very inexpensive...... the one I have was made exclusively for Suzuki - not sure what the difference. There was Suzuki one on ebay for sale for $140- month ago.....needed new battery.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmin-nuvi....c100011.m1850