Thread: What are some good summer tires for the SX4 (16")?

What are some good summer tires for the SX4 (16")?

I have steelies/winters. Now that I don't need all-season tires anymore, I'm curious if there are some good tires designed more for summer. Something that has good dry/wet grip, cornering/handling, and quiet. A Right now I have Bridgestone Ecopia 422 Plus and they are very good for MPG but 2 need to be replaced soon and I'm thinking maybe throw some performance up front for the 2018 summer if any great ones exist.
    Last edited by exime; October 2nd, 2017 at 09:45 PM.
    2009 Crossover AWD Manual

There really isn't much in the OE 205/60/16 size for summer tires most tires that size are A/S but u can go with V speed rated A/S tires that size and they would have better summer dry/wet traction than the same tire in a H speed rated or less tire.

I ran Continental Pure Contact in a H rating and really liked them, great tire that size for SX4. They are avail in a V rating for that tire in the OE size.

U would need to go up to 17" wheels or bigger for a true summer tire, check my posting below for my recommendation if u go this route.

Tony
    T. Chan
    10 SX4 6sp AWD, 17 CX-3 AWD
    09 Z06, 13 Shelby GT500

So jumping up to to V in any all-season tire be a good way to increase summer performance? That might be the route I take if I don't get 17".

I did some digging and found a few 'summer' tires but nothing impressive or raved about. Bridgestone and Michelin have some $150-$200 summer 205/16/r16 including the Michelin Primacy HP and Bridgestone Dueler H/P Sport.

I ran across some moderately priced ones called the 'Falken Ziex ZE914 Ecorun'. They are $94 msrp at discounttire right now. Then there are some cheap 'Nankang Toursports XR611' for $70.

I don't know if the Falken is a gem or not but there just isn't much information. A few articles mentioning it's release back in 2013 but that is about it.

If none of those are good then I will have to get a V rated All-Season which is geared towards warm weather like you said.

There is a Firestone Hawk AS which I think is probably one or two steps below your Indy 500 Firestones and they are only $75.
    Last edited by exime; October 3rd, 2017 at 08:52 AM.

My wife has Pirelli P1's on her SX4

She has fun throwing her car around bends and curves in the hills near home

The car sticks to the ground very well.

I have 950, really like em. Good in rain too. 215-65-15 on jeep wheels. They exist in the 205 60 16 size.

Quote Originally Posted by gange View Post
    My wife has Pirelli P1's on her SX4

She has fun throwing her car around bends and curves in the hills near home

The car sticks to the ground very well.
    That's all I want is some performance stick. My Ecopia 422+ spins like a dreidel and squeals like a pig.

Gave up on a true summer tire. I ended up getting the Bridgestone Serenity Plus 205/60R16 92V because I got the price down so damn far at my tire shop and they have great reviews. I wanted those Pirelli's but I have snow tires anyway so the extra weather performance won't really be needed for the extra cost. I saw one guy getting some Pirellis though and they look really nice. I was considering the Falkens too.

Overall a solid upgrade over the Ecopia 422+ so far. Ride is quieter, handling is better, bumps are less harsh, better performance, and no more squealing. There is a short cobblestone road that I take everyday and they were a lot softer and quieter over the cobblestones.

I expect my gas mileage to drop but I don't think it will be much.
    Last edited by exime; October 18th, 2017 at 01:27 PM.

Sorry I'm late. You should have read my post on the Sumitomo PO2's. http://clubsx4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7907
    Feline mechanics Condoleezza Mice and Duke Wayne
    2011 SX4 Crossover, 1996 beater Miata, 2000 Porsche Boxster

Quote Originally Posted by DennisN View Post
    Sorry I'm late. You should have read my post on the Sumitomo PO2's. http://clubsx4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7907
    Ive got the falken 950 wich is almost the same tire. Its the same compound, same company. I love em.