Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speakers

Speakers

Thinking I might want to upgrade from the stock speakers to something better. I'm currently running a Jensen VX7020 unit and I have been looking at these speakers to upgrade, what do you think of them? (6.5" round)

http://www.jensenmobile.com/speakers/?sku=XS650

Should I worry about adding 1" dome tweeters also in the front doors?

Don't want a sub so whatever speakers I get have to kinda do it all and sound better than with the stock speakers.

Tony
    T. Chan
    10 SX4 6sp AWD, 17 CX-3 AWD
    09 Z06, 13 Shelby GT500

So I did buy my new 6.5" speakers for the 4 doors (see latest purchase thread), so basically what I want to know is how are the OE speakers attached to the doors after you remove the panels?

Are they held on by bolts, screws or riveted on? When I start the install I would like to have all my proper tools at the ready to get this done without any hiccups.

Tony

Will be getting warmer the next few days so after work I'm thinking of pulling off door panels and see what I have there to hold down the stock speakers and get my Rockford Fosgate ones in....................better sound coming soon!!!

Tony

It's been a while since I did mine but they are in a "speaker basket" which is basically just a spacer. No rivets or bolts but the speaker and basket are together and just screwed into the door with 4 holes. These holes have white plastic square clips that you put the stock basket into and screws that go into these white threaded clips. (not sure what these clips would be called). As I said, the speaker it built in so you will need to either cut out the factory speaker and fit your new speakers into this basket or buy speaker adapters, I at first used the stock basket but then a few months later went back in and utilized the speaker adapters and foam baffles as I was getting a bit of vibration when the stereo was turned up. I believe I used 1" thick adapters. You may want to do some sound deadening of the door panels depending on how much time you want to spend on this. I would get speaker with separate tweeters in the front but wouldn't bother with the tweeters for the rear.
    '09 JX, Apollo filter w/factory air intake, under drive pulley, reflash, 18's

Started my speaker install today (still not warm out but I'm prepared).

I'm starting with the rears first...........basically the door panels are off and speakers removed. Lucky for me the plug on the stock speakers show the polarity so it won't be too hard to wire in the Rockford Fosgate ones. Man those stock rear speakers I pulled out are total Pieces OS, is there even a magnet back there??? What magnet it has is so wimpy it's not even funny.

I cut them out so I can use the spacer to mount my new speakers, that's done and tomorrow I'll wire them in and reinstall the door panels. If I can get it done fairly quickly I'll start the front install.

Can't wait to get some REAL DECENT SOUND from this car.

Tony
    Last edited by Cman; April 8th, 2018 at 05:20 AM.

All 4 are in and panels reinstalled.

The sound is so much better, what I listen to actually sounds like I'm playing them at home on my HT setup. Nice decent low end bass and wicked highs.

The stock speakers in these cars need to be replaced.

After a couple weeks my RF speaker is cutting out (the sound drops to zero or much lower than the other speakers).

I don't think it's the speaker that is the problem but rather the adapter plug behind my Jensen to the factory plug. It's possible that when I wired up the adapter plug I might've not done it properly on that connection so that means I'll have to pull out the Jensen and check. I also hope it isn't my head unit that is doing this (that would suck).

Hopefully I'll find the wire issue, fix it and get everything back in..........................total bummer I have to yank it out again.

So the Jensen is out and stock factory head unit went back in, so far I don't have any RF speaker cutting out issues but I will leave the HU in there for this week to keep checking it.

Now I have to check my wiring from the Jensen to factory radio plug, I'm expecting to find an issue there with the RF + and/or - connection and it will be fixed. If that is ok then there's a problem with the Jensen HU (that will not be good and I will be very unhappy about that).

Will update when I find something.

Tony

Jensen is back in, it did look like the RF speaker +/- connection wasn't crimped as well as the other ones so I recrimped it. Actually I went through all the crimp connections back there to make sure they are all good.

Back to sounding like it should. I haven't put back the 2 side chrome pieces yet will check it the next while to make sure all the speakers are sounding proper before I put them back.

Sounds like a nice upgrade. Post some pics when you can.