Thread: Engine swap compatibility

Engine swap compatibility

So, my sx4 has a horrible rod knock, don't know why. Car had oil and I always treated it right. Came home one day and started it up and noticed a ticking sound. I turned the car off and came back to it a few hours later to test it out on the road. I went for a 10 minute drive and in that time the ticking developed into a full blown knock and the car was choppy on the power after it got louder.

Any who, I found an engine from a crashed 2007 sx4 with only 29000 miles on it for a better price than anything online. I think im going to go for it but the donor car is an automatic transmission and my car is a manual. Is there any problems with the manual trans mounting up to the new engine? are the engine mounts the same between the two My car is also a 2009, but I don't think that matters.

Can you guys give me some insight on the issue, it would help me a lot.

i believe you should be ok, as long as its a j20a being swapped for a j20a it should in theory be a direct swap. as far as the auto to manual, i cant see it being that big of an issue.

We just did the same swap, although ours was 07 car and 08 motor, and you will have to put your flywheel on the new engine. Everything else swapped perfectly.

Going through the same process myself. So far it's pretty straight forward. Pulling an engine from a 09 Sedan Sport and is swapping into my 07 SX4 Hatch. Only thing that is making this swap a PITA for me is the donor car being SUPER rusted. ugh lol.
    Vehicles:
    2006 Mitsubishi Evolution IX MR
    2007 Suzuki SX4

thanks guys, I will probably ask a few more questions on this thread when I actually get the engine and get to swapping it out.

alright guys i got the new engine and i am trying to remove the old one. i have no experience with taking out or putting in an engine. i have a manual transmission and im wondering, other than taking out the 10 or so mounting bolts on the bell housing, is there anything i need to be aware off when separating the trans from the engine?

any other tips are welcome. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by suzu View Post
    any other tips are welcome. Thanks.
    Start by searching out old threads like this one

http://clubsx4.com/forum/showthread....Engine+removal