Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Wahoooo! I finally managed to do it!!

Two scenarios of off-road. Slow crawling, Sx4 sucks monkey's butt at it, requires good RTI and softer sprung suspension. Second is high speed off-roading which requires good damping and extra droop and compression travel to absorb those smile-inducing landings after well executed jump.
    With stock springs Sx4 will bottom out at the slightest jump. I've yet to bottom out MAD coils. Yes, strut pistons moved ~ 50mm up, but it has no affect on damping as Sx4 struts are non-adjustable. I can clear highest speed bump at any parking lot at speed w/o fear of bottoming out. This strut's extra piston lift gives ~50mm of compression travel to reduce chance of bottoming out.
    Stock Sx4 springs suck monkey's butt bigly. Especially rear coil springs.
    For an example, I had 5 sheets of OSB (thanks to Brumbie13 tutorial how to build plywood hauling rack) on the roof rack, 200 sq feet of hardwood (15 packages, each 30-40lbs), 2 bags (50lbs each) of quick set concrete and other stuff. All that with 2 people inside. Rear sag was nowhere near the sag I'd get if my Sx4 had stock coil springs. And it was very stable at speed.
    I know many cringe at the price. But those who dared to invest, reap the benefits of much better ride performance sans any trepidations.
    P.S I believe you can order only rear, but it would be through MAD Tooling itself, unless other suppliers carry separate coil springs for Sx4. Worth a research.
    But then again if you leave front stock front and stiffen up the rear, your Sx4 would buck like a donkey over bumps.

Cheers...
    Last edited by midnightsx4; August 14th, 2017 at 03:25 AM.
    How hard can it be?

Just because it sucks monkey butt at articulation doesn't mean I want it to suck extra monkey butt.

And with the way I drive (aka. Have never gotten "air" in my car) I'm worried about the shocks topping out and oil frothing on the top side of the piston rather than bottoming from landing a jump.

I think our driving styles differ, lol. I don't time my lap on the way to work.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    '11 SX4 AWD 6-spd, '07 Grand Vitara V6, '01 GS500
    Father's: '12 Kizashi Sport & '12 Grand Vitara
    Proud owners of the entire North American Suzuki line-up

Cool beans man!
    If I timed laps on the way work driving my Sx4, constant tardiness would get me in trouble. That is why I ride my DuckTape to work. He never lets me down.

Cheers...
    How hard can it be?

Quote Originally Posted by midnightsx4 View Post
    Cool beans man!
    If I timed laps on the way work driving my Sx4, constant tardiness would get me in trouble. That is why I ride my DuckTape to work. He never lets me down.

Cheers...
    By ducktape do you mean your concours? SX4 probably gets better mileage though!

Actually, Ducktape gets 37-38MPG with me being sensible hooligan on it. If I get carried away, MPG drops to 32-35 but, but excitement level is through the roof.
    It should be illegal to have sooooo much fun on a heavy GT bike!
    How hard can it be?

I'm afraid to ask what "riding DuctTape" is out of fear that it will derail your original thread...

This thread was once about SX4 Struts and SX4 lifts... how is your suspension riding now that you have it aligned?

It was an innocuous diversion. We're now back on the topic.
    How hard can it be?

Haha no problem, it's not like this is a high traffic forum now.

The car rides well! Pretty much the exact same as before so there's really nothing to report on. I have yet to replace those bushings so I can't comment on these shocks being "louder" than the stockers yet but that's my first observation. I have a feeling it's just a loose sway bar.

Do you still have than "clunk" sound over speed bumps?
    I was conducting an experiment, although I haven't removed links yet, where If I hit speed bump square with both front tires it would "clunk", more on RH side. But when I hit the same speed bump diagonally, I don't get that same "clunk". It seems when sway bar goes up unloaded, i.e both tires hit speedbump at the same time the noise is more pronounced .
    Whatcha think?
    How hard can it be?

Quote Originally Posted by midnightsx4 View Post
    Do you still have than "clunk" sound over speed bumps?
    I was conducting an experiment, although I haven't removed links yet, where If I hit speed bump square with both front tires it would "clunk", more on RH side. But when I hit the same speed bump diagonally, I don't get that same "clunk". It seems when sway bar goes up unloaded, i.e both tires hit speedbump at the same time the noise is more pronounced .
    Whatcha think?
    That is precisely my observation as well. Are you on fresh sway bar bushings?