Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Wahoooo! I finally managed to do it!!

Welds look really good! Almost like it wasn't your first time!lol

I'm still looking in Grand Dads rule book on that Red Lock Tight!
    [("I use it all the time with hopes of pissing the next person off!")]
    The ABSOLUTE BEST car under $20K with AWD any where in Rome!

Now "Mighty Mouse" runs like a Dothriki Whore, on horse heart 1$ night!"

I wonder if something like these would work.

These are the bolt kit for that russian company selling a 1" sx4 lift kit on ebay

Being hollow, they still look kinda flimsy

I can't take credit for the welding, but yes he's a very talented welder. But clearly that one nut had a lot of contamination as the entire weld had bubbles inside. I tried to hammer off the one that didn't break and I could not break the weld, I had to angle grind off the nuts.

But don't worry, this next version will be unbreakable. It's taking a lot more work and won't be a viable option for a lot of people without a machine shop at their disposal, but I think it's going to be as strong as you can possibly get. Will hopefully be finished up tomorrow!

Maybe I'll even throw some paint on this one

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wagoneer; August 10th, 2017 at 04:33 PM.
    '11 SX4 AWD 6-spd, '07 Grand Vitara V6, '01 GS500
    Father's: '12 Kizashi Sport & '12 Grand Vitara
    Proud owners of the entire North American Suzuki line-up

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSilenceDoGood View Post
    Welds look really good! Almost like it wasn't your first time!lol

I'm still looking in Grand Dads rule book on that Red Lock Tight!
    [("I use it all the time with hopes of pissing the next person off!")]
    Technically suspension pieces is what you should be using the red stuff for as it resists breaking down from vibrations and impacts.

I like using it for stuff where it's hard to properly torque stuff down sufficiently and stopping it from backing out, AKA these spacers.

Finished product:

received_10212911056146724 by Greg Hawel

What I did was take a section of 1.5" dia bar stock, put that in a lathe and drill a 27/64" (10.8m) hole in it. Yeah you read that right, that's the drill bit you'll need. Good luck finding one.

Then precision cut two 3/4" sections out. Then tap those to M12x1.25. Then weld those sections onto your 4" wide 3/16" thick plates. And voila, you're done.

This is as much steel that will fit inside of the pillow mount, and as much thread length as well. So this is best case scenario right here. I'll see how it all goes together tomorrow and report back!

Woooooo! I'm back on the road again. Don't really want to drive it too much as it has a ton of toe-out but all seems perfect this time around.

But I will say, my brand new Moog endlinks are kind of noisy. Not really any creaks or cracks, just a little thud every time I go over a bump. Hopefully they just need to be worn in a bit. The joints are very stiff compared to the OEM endlinks. I know it's the endlinks because when I unhooked them it immediately went away. But I like the fact that the things are massive. Not sure why Moog doesn't advertise these as a "heavy-duty" version or an upgrade version from stock. Both the joints and shafts are about twice the size as stock. And they're servicable! Just hope they quiet down after a while...

Don't rule out that it could be the inner bushings making the thud, with all the stiffness of the new links.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nobutter69 View Post
    Don't rule out that it could be the inner bushings making the thud, with all the stiffness of the new links.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    True. I just had to replace them on the grand vitara and it has the same mileage.

But then again why not invest in MAD tooling springs. Instant ~2" lift without all these trepidations. Not that Kanook is bad juju, just saying there is alternative.
    As for thud-creak-crack noise over bumps, mine has it too. I'll try disconnecting links and re-try it.
    Mine are Moog too, fairly new. Thanks for the tip.

P.S Those welds look fantastic!

Cheers...
    Last edited by midnightsx4; August 13th, 2017 at 12:53 PM.
    How hard can it be?

Quote Originally Posted by midnightsx4 View Post
    But then again why not invest in MAD tooling springs. Instant ~2" lift without all these trepidations. Not that Kanook is bad juju, just saying there is alternative.
    As for thud-creak-crack noise over bumps, mine has it too. I'll try disconnecting links and re-try it.
    Mine are Moog too, fairly new. Thanks for the tip.

P.S Those welds look fantastic!
    My reason is two-fold for not going with the MAD springs. #1. Price. That's pretty self-explanatory. #2. In a macphearson strut, it has an optimum piston location for a non-linear spring setup. I can imagine with a 2" taller spring that the strut is probably very close to being topped out at normal ride height. Probably fine for daily driving, but not ideal for bombing down fireroads. With a spacer setup, at least the strut is maintaining the same geometry as what it was designed for and you have plenty of down-travel before it tops out. That down-travel is a must when you're off roading with a car with very little articulation to begin with.

If I'm wrong about any of that, then maybe I'll consider just going with a longer spring in the future as that would be the ideal setup strength-wise. But those are my concerns.

Going with a longer spring in the rear and ditching the blocks I have always wanted to do since day one. I would love to get a stiffer spring rate back there as well. But when I combed through the group-by I didn't see anything about being able to order just the rears.