Thread: Low profile crossbars

Low profile crossbars

Since we couldn't stand how tall the accessory crossbars look we decided to build our own for our cargo basket...

1. Went to junk yard to find inside mount crossbar from donor vehicle. They have to be at least 44 1/4" wide as that is the crazy width between the front of our stock rails.

2. Two vehicles found that meet that minimum. 96 Chevy Suburban 48" and 2005 Lincoln Navigator 45 1/2". Went with Suburban since we had more to play with.96 Suburban crossbar.jpg

3. Had to remove part of the stock mounting bracket that is rubber, cut off all "lips" to make smooth so they would lay flat against the stock rails.mounting braket lip.jpgMounting bracket.jpg

4. Since the crossbars only had one mounting bolt on each bracket we added another hole on each. They had to be as close to the edge as possible or the bar, when installed, gets in the way of tightening them.Mounting bracket.jpg

5. Based the location of where to place the mounting brackets based on our cargo carrier we already had.
    bracket installed.jpg

6. After installing all brackets we put the bars up on the rails to measure how much we would cut off.
    cutoff section.jpg

7. We then of course installed the bars and it looks great we think. Just need to get black head bolts and then pull crossbars for repainting.
    Last edited by aarcuda; July 9th, 2017 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Updates and pictures

did you have the oem crossbars?
    if so are you willing to sell them?

Sold long ago with first car.

Can't add picture of pre-paint finished install. Getting error

crossbars installed.jpg
    Pre-paint installed.
    crossbars painted and installed.jpg
    Painted and installed.
    Last edited by aarcuda; July 13th, 2017 at 07:01 AM.

These cross bars are awesome. I think I will do this on my wifes car.

I have the same beef with all the crossbars that aren't low profile or oem, your SX$ looks like a jenga table by the time you get a ski / bike / luggage rack mounted.
    2012 SX4 Crossover AWD CTV, metallic blue, San Francisco, Ca

That and anything that sticks out of my car looks like it needs to be removed and sold for meth. Lost count the antennas I've replaced...
    2012 SX4 Crossover AWD CTV, metallic blue, San Francisco, Ca