Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spark plugs

Quote Originally Posted by Samus View Post

BKR5EIX-11
    I'm wondering if you are using the correct plug on your 13 car. Your J20B engine should be the same as the one in my 10 car.

BKR5EIX-11 is listed for the J20A engine for 07-09 SX4's, the reach on this plug is shorter than the LFR6AIX-11 which is the plug listed for the J20B engine for 10-13 SX4's.

BKR5EIX-11

LFR6AIX-11

You are also running a hotter plug than what is spec'd from Suzuki (the #5 in your plug part # is a hotter plug than the #6 listed in the J20B part # plug the lower the # the hotter the plug is).

Now I know you have mods done to your engine so if you researched everything and decided the BKR5EIX-11 is the plug you should use on your J20B then by all means have at it, otherwise you should put in the proper plug for your engine to start and then decide whether you need a colder or hotter plug from stock.

Tony

On a different note: Denso also makes a decent quality plug. I consider them to be on par with NGK plugs (in certain instances probably even better than NGK).

07-09 SX4 part # IK16 or IK16TT

10-13 SX4 part # IKH16 or IKH16TT

I run a set of Denso Iridium plugs in my GT500.....................no issues, the Z06 is currently running a set of NGK Iridium plugs as do my SX4.
    Last edited by Cman; July 2nd, 2017 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cman View Post
    You are also running a hotter plug than what is spec'd from Suzuki (the #5 in your plug part # is a hotter plug than the #6 listed in the J20B part # plug the lower the # the hotter the plug is).

Now I know you have mods done to your engine so if you researched everything and decided the BKR5EIX-11 is the plug you should use on your J20B then by all means have at it, otherwise you should put in the proper plug for your engine to start and then decide whether you need a colder or hotter plug from stock.

Tony

On a different note: Denso also makes a decent quality plug. I consider them to be on par with NGK plugs (in certain instances probably even better than NGK).

07-09 SX4 part # IK16 or IK16TT

10-13 SX4 part # IKH16 or IKH16TT
    FWIW the Denso 16s that you list are equivalent to NGK 5s. I've seen both NGK and Denso flip flopping between the 2 heat ranges.

Just changed mine today..200k km with NGK 5 oem. The new one also have a platin7m plate on ground tip
    Cyl one is pully side
    Number 1. Easy to take out. Plug is ok gap
    Number 2. Hard. To take out...lots of baked hard oil skin. Plug is ok gap
    Number 3 Hard to take out..lots of baked hard oil...but less than number 2. Plug is ok gap
    Number 4 ok to take out. Some baked hard oil on plug outside. Plug is ok gap.

Note: if you have resistance undoing spark plug...stop..then screw back in undo again...a few times will loosen the oil cakes.

I have to clean the silicone boots especially #2..lots of oil brown stuff.
    The lesson is when refilling oil....place a rag around.the port area.
    I torque to 15 ft/lb. Though. Spec indicates 18 ft/lbs.
    Do not use anti seize or lube on these spark plugs.. These are soeail plated.

I suspect the cover gasket is leaking...I tigjten 1/32 turn on cover until I get gasket set.

I broke my air box peg leg when remove. Drilled a hole, marine epoxy and screwed back in.

Engine runs fine after replacement.

Quite expensive for these plugs in Canada.22$ a pop before tax.
    Last edited by CF7; June 9th, 2018 at 05:53 PM.
    2007AWD auto.200k km..K/N air filter,AUXinput,Grp34size Battery
    Fixes..alternator,swybarlnk,cntrlarm,innertierod,P wiperarm,Rexhaustjnt,Raxleseals,Ujoints,idler,tens ioner pulleys.

Just fitted NGK LFR5AIX-11 Iridium IX to replace LFR5A-11 as per NGK recommendation (J20B). Far better in every way
    Last edited by sprintman; June 12th, 2018 at 03:16 AM.

I have a 2012 Sx4 and the manual states to put in NGK SILFR6A11. How different is this model of plug from the LFR5AIX-11?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sameerp672 View Post
    I have a 2012 Sx4 and the manual states to put in NGK SILFR6A11. How different is this model of plug from the LFR5AIX-11?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
    I think 5A vs 6A is the heat/cold type.

SIL is oem much better grade than LFR...big price difference.
    SIL probably has a platinum plate at ground tip.

2012 ..you don't really need new plugs? unless mileage is really higj
    Fixes..alternator,swybarlnk,cntrlarm,innertierod,P wiperarm,Rexhaustjnt,Raxleseals,Ujoints,idler,tens ioner pulleys.

Most manufacturers now say you can go about 100,000 kms or so on iridium and/or platinum plugs, personally I would never run a set of plugs that high. I would change them out at about 48,000 to at most 60,000 kms.

Leaving OE plugs in till you reach 100,000 kms will give you a nice surprise when you do try to take them out, in most cases the plugs can be seized to the cyl. head and you are fooked if you mess up the threads in the head.

At the very least whenever you buy a new car or used car pull out the plugs and dab some anti seize on the threads and put them back in, that ensures you can remove the plugs way down the road should you decide to run them up in the mileage dept.

Quote Originally Posted by Cman View Post
    I would change them out at about 48,000 to at most 60,000 kms.
    It is correct if you using old Champion, copper v groove stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by CF7 View Post
    I think 5A vs 6A is the heat/cold type.

SIL is oem much better grade than LFR...big price difference.
    SIL probably has a platinum plate at ground tip.

2012 ..you don't really need new plugs? unless mileage is really higj
    Plugs would be shot in a 2012. Totally shot in our 2013 with 77,000 kms on them

So what plugs would be best in a 2013 SX4 crossover with a CVT?