Thread: 2009 SX4 AWD Engine Died on me at 96K miles

2009 SX4 AWD Engine Died on me at 96K miles

Just as the title says, the engine in my 2009 SX4 crossover died May 26th as my sons and I were on my way to a tattoo appointment. We were at the end of the off ramp at a stop sign and I heard a knocking and then BOOM! Dead in the water! We pushed it off to the side and called a tow truck and had it towed to an ex Suzuki dealer in the next town. I had recently purchased the car at the end of January and it had approximately 96K when it died. Luckily when I financed the vehicle, the finance company required me to purchase extended warranty coverage. Now to see if they'd actually cover the repairs!

Called up the mechanic a few days later and he said he told the warranty company I had blown a hole through the block. They wanted him to break down the engine to find the cause and they would send out a rep to verify the cause which ended up being a rod going through the block due to bearing failure. Good news is they were covering the repairs. Bad news (which isn't really that bad) is that the engine they found to replace mine was in Texas and had to be shipped to the Poconos and it would take 2-6 business days.

Looks like I will have a "new" engine with 90K miles on it reinstalled into my SX4 hopefully by mid week, allowing me to take it on my trip up north to Ottawa, Canada.

On a side note: In the few weeks I was patiently waiting, I ended up buying a 2002 Subaru Outback Impreza Sport Wagon 5 speed with an extra set of rims for $550! The only things wrong was the exhaust had rusted through at the flange between the cat and resonator and a fuel leak at the fuel pump. Plus it has 230K. But that's an easy fix/swap if needed. Fixed the exhaust by replacing it with the one off my old Forester and the fuel leak ended up being a plastic elbow for the return fuel line was missing an O-ring My dad ended up having an extra elbow connection! Now I'll have 2 cars to dump all my money into! Looks like I will either have 2 lifted awd cars or a slammed SX4 and a lifted OBS! WOOHOO!

Wow that's actually surprising that they cover that with the extended warranty. I also took the extended warranty so I'm glad to know if that happens I'm backed....! 60k km on mine and I do have a few things I neglected at the 60k km maintenance. Good deal on the outback! Do slam the sx4 and lift the outback. Mine is pretty much lowered to the max I can with the roads we have here. I've never driven a car that handles like the sx4. Its so nimble in corners and the small wheel base makes it very versatile, the only downside is its power... but nothing a turbo can't fix. Drove a mad 2004 Wrx, Lamborghini Gallardo, Golf R and R32 etc... still would like a turbo sx4 over these just for the simple fact that there are little to none out there and your car won't be considered grand theft auto bait.
    AWD 2013. CVT. Custom SRI w/Apollo, RRM Crank Pulley, RRM piggyback ecu, Custom 2.25 Flowmaster exhaust, RRM Front/Rear Swaybars, UR Rear Strut bar, Megan Racing Coilovers, Techna-fit brake lines, A118 Dashcam, More coming...

Thanks Samus! Ever since puchasing the SX4 I've seen so many of them around! And they are driven by mostly old folks (lots of older women). During the first part of my commute to work I know I'll see at least 2, sometimes 3! To my wife's dismay I've even come to giving them a quick wave as we pass each other. Probably think I'm some crazy person! Haha!

I do love how these little cars drive and handle the corners! The AWD just adds to this little car's versatility! And you're right... they are not high up on the auto theft list. Good for us!